Return to Index  

Mutiny on ms Bloemfontein

May 1 2012 at 11:59 PM
No score for this post
Hans de Boer  (no login)

Response to Re: Mutiny on ms Bloemfontein

What I know about it is the following:
My father was drafted to do his military service in 1945. As many Dutch men of his age, he was sent to Indonesia (as far as I know this happened in 1946). The Dutch army was sent to Netherlands Indonesia (at that time still a Dutch colony) participate in military actions to achieve what was called "restoration of order, peace and security". He was shipped on the ms Bloemfontein, a ship which was commissioned by the Dutch government to transport troops to Indonesia. He has always talked about the bad treatment they were given aboard the ship. Not enough food, not enough drinks. At a certain moment they found out that the food rations had been there, but they were never distributed because the crew had stolen most of it.
He mentioned the incident as "mutiny" because somehow the ship was stopped and there were negotiations between the crew and the military aboard the ship. He also mentioned that there were British or Canadian officers involved in negotiating a solution to the problem. Somehow, they came to a solution and the ship continued to Batavia (nowadays Djakarta).
Unfortunately, I can't ask my father for more precise information about the incident, as he passed away last week. During the conversations we had at his bedside(only two weeks ago), he told us the again this story. There are others who have been there on board the Bloemfontein at the time. Also, my dad was a member of a veteran's club and they still have a couple of members who may be able to tell more.
Hope this helps!
Best regards,
Hans

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• 2 Mutinies? - Jacques on May 3, 2012, 11:50 AM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement