Return to Index  

Re: AP versus HE

May 11 2012 at 3:52 PM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)
from IP address

Response to AP versus HE

> Well, nowhere in what I found elsewhere nor in this thread does it so clearly state why AP shells are really not suitable for use against troops or for counter bombardment - and it's that picture of the 9.2" AP shell that I wanted to alert readers to. >

Sorry, lad, I thought that was a given: AP projectile with thicker steel, and thus a smaller bursting charge (or payload) than the thinner steel surround of the HE round. The AP round thus burrows more effectively into the steel innards of an armored warship before exploding, and with a great deal less fragmentation. With those characteristics, not too effective against infantry. Again, I assumed that was well understood and thus no need to go over the entirely familiar.

> You know what they say about pictures!>

Depending upon whom one listens to, a picture is worth either one thousand or ten thousand words. By the by, the guy who runs the Chinese takeout ('takeaway' in your part of the world) not far down the road from me sez it was NOT Confucius who spake that, but rather Charlie Chan. Or mebbe it was Number One Son....

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement