Return to Index  

Re: Translation Difficulties

February 6 2013 at 10:33 PM
No score for this post
John Melmoth  (no login)
from IP address

Response to Translation Difficulties

Yes, I have gone over this before on this forum.

Ya pays yer money & ya takes yer chances re those translations...I have not seen any good JPN materials translated properly by any but JPN citizens, and best of all, veterans. Though there are certainly JPN scholars at work with excellent English-language skills. There's a guy at a university in Singapore, for example, who has done some fabulous research & his English is just fine. On the other hand, one of my connections who is an IJN expert (in a specialized field), teaching in Japan as a professor, and who has provided some wonderful material for me, does not have those language skills really.

The saving grace--if there is such--may be that operational military records are much simpler to decipher, say, than a personal account by an individual participant who may have good reasons to shade or color his memories, etc. That is, if the sentence merely says, "On Sept 21, 1943 we spotted such-and-such a ship at a distance of 15,000 meters. We fired 10 rounds of 20cm shells at it..." that's not too problematic.
If it is an account of the intimate workings of the Imperial Army & Navy's innermost cabals as they plotted & struggled with warplans, in which each player had a strong "territiorial imperative" of his own, and you're trying to understand these turf wars which had fabulous subtleties involving everything from personality clashes to financial schemes to profound clan loyalties (or, in some cases, even familial issues), then every bloody little nuance in the translation becomes critical.

Nonetheless, it's one thing to get translations for 15-20$ per page and find them to be of mediocre quality. It's quite another to be spending 35-40$ per page* and discover that the work is not satisfactory. I simply could not afford that.

* I am told that professional translators in large corporate jobs or something such as the aviation industry get even higher rates; perhaps twice as much again!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement