Return to Index  

Mea culpa & a correction to Nelson

March 19 2013 at 8:29 PM
No score for this post
John Melmoth  (no login)
from IP address

Response to matters arising, mostly on armament

Great catch...30 days hath November...

I'm much too lazy to get up & dig out the HOUSTON Deck Log (all of five feet away) for November 1941--I have just inherited curatorship of all of our organizations deck log copies (along with half of the associated storage fees, BTW!), although I had that one myself along with a few others--but that's a memory glitch, I guess...and not that important to me here, sorry.

I also don't have time to waste on this OCD stuff about 3" guns on the OMAHAs, etc. but the photos seemed to show MARBLY with seven (7), and more interestingly with her homemade stops in place as well. (HOUSTON's ship force fabricated stops for her 1.1" machine cannon, but the 5" battery had cut-out cams installed with the new guns & directors in 1940. It was quite a concern of her AA officers as to how well they would perform in action. On Feb 4th they found out that they worked quite well indeed..Even if their shells did not--but that's another story.)

A little FYI for Jacques: the .50cal battery on the foremast in the old OMAHA-class is situated in what the sailors called "the Birdbath"...

As for the searchlights of HOUSTON: the new ones were unquestionably at Cavite, and the men had started to install them blah blah blah (as we all know)...Anyway, to be brief & correct: they were left on the dock when she pulled out...As I understand, her electricians mates were already familiar with the new lights--which were of a different type--and quite eager to have them. But it was not to be.
It would not surprise me if they were still at Cavite after the war ended (like PILLSBURY's torpedo tubes...)

Methinks that's all for the nonce...

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement