Return to Index  

SS/MV Perida

August 22 2013 at 12:29 PM
No score for this post
Allan Shaw  (Login AllanShaw)

Response to Re: Missing voyage MS Boschfontein

Hi Bob,

I came across your thread while doing some research for my Grandfather who has a certificate for crossing the International Date Line on the Perida, could you give me any information based on the message below?

My Grandfather is George Herbert Gregory, Army Number 4979538, POW Number 5225 and he was interned on 28th November 1942 at Fukuoka 4B, Moji, Kyushu in the Moji YMCA Building.

He has fairly well documented his time as a POWhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peop...a6451120.shtml but has huge holes in his memory regarding repatriation, he was returned via Canada (his Domain of the Golden Dragon certificate has him crossing the International Date Line on 23rd October 1945 and the vessel is written on the certificate as "Perida" but this might well be the USS Perdido (then HMS Trouncer). I have since found mentions of the SS Perida or MV Perida in this area so this might well be the correct ship. He vaguely remembers being in Canada but does not remember his journey back to the UK apart from arriving in his home town of Belper (dates are sketchy but his first PO coupon was cashed 05/02/46.)

What I would like to find out is the boat he left for Canada on (I thought it may be Implacable but his certificate for crossing the IDL rules this out as Implacable arrived in Vancouver on October 12th.) his arrival date in Canada, his whereabouts and period of recuperation and then the boat he came back to the UK on and the date and port of arrival.

Anything you can do to help will assist this old soldier in resting a little easier at night.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• more than likely SS Perida TO Canada - Nelson on Aug 22, 2013, 2:47 PM
  •  
  • ss perida - mark barone on Mar 25, 2015, 1:38 AM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement