Return to Index  

Thanks Guys!

December 22 2013 at 8:35 AM
No score for this post
Tom  (no login)

Response to Re: According to the dictionary...............

Hey guys...good info! This gives me a pretty good idea of what Schouten was being used for in her final days under Dutch control.

Kevin...your info states that Schouten was requisitioned from the Netherlands Steamship Company on March 13, 1941 for use as a training ship for KM personnel. On December 7 she was reassigned to the role of "Air Defense Ship" in the Madoera Strait. As Jan mentioned, it appears that she was unarmed and used an air defense picket ship.

I've read that Allied fighters defending Soerabaja typically got about 10-20 minutes advance warning of Japanese bombers approaching the port. Since this most likely was before any of the Allied RADAR stations on Java were operational in late February, I'm thinking Schouten could have been the source of these early alerts. Being stationed off Gili would probably have put her right on the most favorable flight path from Makassar to Soerabaja, which is where most of the initial Japanese attacks on Soerabaja originated from.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Re: Thanks Guys! - Jan Visser on Dec 22, 2013, 6:26 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement