Return to Index  

Re: Y it is!

April 12 2014 at 10:33 AM
No score for this post
Jan Visser  (Login Visje1981)
Moderators

Response to Y it is!

It has more to do with the changes in the use and official spelling in the Dutch language over the years (and there have been quite a few). The use of "Y" instead of "IJ" appears to be preferred up until a few decades ago, and could also have been the correct spelling according to Dutch "language rules" for that era (not sure about that last one).
Nowadays, no one will use "Y" where "IJ" is intended.

What I know about Afrikaans is that traces its roots back to Dutch, but developed very differently over the centuries (which I learnt the "hard" way when I was on vacation in South Africa in 2012. I couldn't understand Afrikaans, because grammar is very differently from Dutch and well, because of the thick accents, but the Afrikaners could understand Dutch perfectly!).

On a sidenote, there are instances where the "Y" is intended to be pronounced as "ie" instead of "ij". An example is Generaal Verspyck, which is pronounded Verspieck instead of Verspijck. Also notice that nobody uses "ck" anymore, but only "k" (except when used in surnames).

HTH,
Jan

This message has been edited by Visje1981 on Apr 12, 2014 10:57 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Re: Y it is! - Jacques on Apr 13, 2014, 10:31 AM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement