Return to Index  

Two points: Cunningham and Marmon-Herrington

June 24 2014 at 12:37 PM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to James Cunningham, Son & Co.

Jacques,

1. > ...James Cunningham, Son & Company, the renowned coachbuilders from Rochester NY, who built the M1 armored car of which South Africa was to order another 22. But was it not built on a Ford truck chassis? >

Not that I know of. I'm pretty sure that only some of Cunningham's half-track trucks, including that nice stake-body model shown in the photo, were built on Ford chassis, but not the T4/M1 armored car.

2. On June 9, 2014, in the current thread ("Re: More Additional Info..."), I made reference to another forum, viz.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=313055

In that forum on July 18, 2013---less than a year ago---R. Mark Davies makes some interesting if mildly controversial points that IMO need investigating. Here's one, followed by my comment in [italics]:

"The Indian 3rd Cavalry Regt ended up being largely used as motorised infantry and most of the Marmon-Herringtons were captured by the Japanese still in storage. [If Mr. Davies is correct on this last point---Jacques, take note!---that's a new one for me, and may shed some light, indirectly, on the number of such South African armored recon cars sent to Singapore.]"

Again, my point is not so much the total of 175 Mark III SARCs intended for Singapore-Malaya, but (a) how many actually reached either Singapore or Port Swettenham, and (b) how many were still in storage somewhere there when the Japanese came calling. What do you think?

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement