Return to Index  

Nope--you are quite wrong...

January 8 2015 at 3:57 AM
No score for this post
Melmoth the Critical  (no login)

Response to North of New Guinea

...when you wrote:

"I therefore with great confidence, propose that charts and sailing direction would indeed have been available and it is highly unlikely that the US Navy would not have had sufficient copies on hand. The route North of New Guinea, passing through Dampier or Pitt Straits, and then through the Molucca Sea onward to Manila via the usual route, would therefore have been a good alternative and must have been seriously considered at one point or another. But in the end, as I now understand, and as someone else on this forum suggested, a strategic decision had been made prior to the Pearl Harbor attacks that it would be - Australia first, then maybe Manila if the coast is clear."

But it is fun to revel in all that impressive Wiki-knowledge...

1) On what basis can you possibly assert that it is 'highly unlikely that the USN would not have had sufficient copies on hand.'??? What sources do you have to support that?

2) When & how did you get the idea that the PENSACOLA Convoy was altered "prior to the Pearl Harbor attacks" to go to Oz first?? I'm curious about this, too.

M

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Nope. I am quite right! - Jacques on Jan 8, 2015, 6:39 AM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement