Return to Index  

Re: second wave

January 24 2015 at 7:22 AM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to Second wave

> I think you'll find the first wave of the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbour started something like just before 8 in the morning local time. >

I agree with that time estimation. Please note, however, that there is no place I know of on Oahu named Pearl Harbour, a place name and thus a proper noun. Just as Coal Harbour in British Columbia is so spelled, Pearl Harbor in Hawaii (then a territory, now a state) is so spelled. For example, see Glen Williford and Terrance McGovern, 2003, Defenses of Pearl Harbor & Oahu 1907–1950, put out by Osprey, a well known British publisher of military and naval books, and not specifically as the American edition.

> The second wave came about an hour later, and at that time Jagersfontein was entering. >

I agree with the time estimation of the former event. At that time, Jägersfontein was already in the approaches to Honolulu Harbor. She had been cooling her heels outside the harbor since before 8 a.m., but was in the channel around 8:35 or 8:40, still before the second wave hit Pearl Harbor. She is estimated to have opened fire at just about 9 a.m., on aircraft of the second wave.

> It tied up at about 0915, according to a report from the Dutch Consul in Honolulu at the time. >

I agree with that time estimation. Thus it is doubtful that she entered the channel as late as 8:55 and tied up 20 minutes later, particularly with all that was going on.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• JAGERSFONTEIN - no umlaut - Jacques on Feb 4, 2015, 6:06 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement