Return to Index  

Re: T'was not I!

March 6 2015 at 7:50 PM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to T'was not I!

> Wasn’t me. >

So, how was I to know? Whispers had reached me of a certain Jacques living in Darkest Africa, and forced to change his name after attempting to pass a bad cheque (a sizable amount, allegedly to pay for a rare photo of Marmon-Herrington armoured cars in a Singapore depot). Anyway, in trying to erase his sordid past, this Jacques joined the Foreign Legion (where he was a barrack mate of Alain Lefevre, a known alias for the notorious Jean-Claude van Damme*), then became a soldier of fortune, and finally emerged somewhere in the southern part of the continent. To cover his tracks, this Jacques no longer even spoke of Marmon-Herrington armoured cars, but rather now called them SARCs. The trail becomes cold at that point.

*Legionnaire (1998) is a must see, even if just to eyeball the Tuareg besiegers of an FFL post cutting loose with a Vickers-Maxim 2.95-inch (75mm) mountain gun. By the by, although never a standard British Army or Indian Army piece, the V-M mountain gun saw extensive use in both the West African and East African campaigns of WWI. Supposedly, one fired the opening shot in Togoland in August 1914. The various weapons used in Legionnaire may be seen here:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Legionnaire

[linked image]

This specifically is the V-M 2.95-inch mountain gun in use by the hostile tribesmen.

[linked image]

And this’un is manned by American soldiers sometime prior to 1912, so dated by their fore-and-aft-creased campaign hats (the 1912-pattern campaign hat is the four-blocked or Smokey the Bear hat, and at the very least, the officer shown would have worn such if that year or afterward). The V-M 2.95s were still around in 1941-42 in the Philippines, and saw use against the Japanese. With the most rudimentary of recoil absorption apparatus, the little guy had a reputation for being a high jumper.

Mister Jones

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement