Return to Index  

A question that, HOPEFULLY, someone will answer this time. ;-)

June 12 2015 at 3:27 AM
No score for this post
KevinD  (no login)

Response to For those that can read Dutch, two questions then please

Even though no-one ever responded to my questions in my previous post, let me now try a different one. After all, as they say, if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again.

It is a question re the content of Meijer's first hand account of Augustina’s sinking attached in a previous post by Jan Visser on Feb 9, 2014.

In the few pages re the sinking in Edwards book (Japanese Blitzkrieg) he mentions Augustina being able to "see the tall peak on the island of Bali abeam to starboard" shortly after the second overflight by Japanese planes (i.e. when the planes were heading back north), that is just prior to her being approached by an IJN warship, supposedly - but unlikely IMO - the DD Harukaze. Now that we know (from the discovery of Augustina's wreck some years ago) that Augustina was nowhere near Bali, the only peak she could have possibly been able to see to starboard that day would be on Bawean Island.

So my question to those that can read Dutch is; Is there any mention AT ALL in Miejer's account/s about seeing a peak (whether Bali or not), or has Edwards just taken some poetic license in his attestation of that supposed peak sighting?

An answer / clarification re if there is anything in Meijer's statement re seeing a peak would be GREATLY appreciated to aid in some research I am doing re the events that day.

TIA (after all, one can always hope)!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• No, nothing. - Jacques on Jun 13, 2015, 9:03 AM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement