Return to Index  

Re: Floating for days

June 16 2015 at 10:03 AM
No score for this post
KevinD  (no login)

Response to Floating for days

First thanks for the input Nuyt! As luck would have it I was looking at the thread when you just posted, hence my quick reply. (I will put an asterix * next to my questions here.)

So, let me deal with your most recent first. Your text in >>>> <<<<

>>>>Is anything known about her exact moment of sinking?<<<<<

As far as I know, no.

>>>>>>Augustina was still floating on the 4th as it appeared from the various reports and she could have been floating for several more days.<<<<<

I thought Meijer last saw her on morning of, or during, the 3rd.

>>>>>That would mean the location of the wreck may be (relatively) far away - depending on currents, wind, etc - from the massacre location?<<<<<

Correct.

>>>>>>>A quick google showed me currents in March in the Java Sea are normally westwards, so the tanker may have been much farther east when she was spotted or indeed closer to the place where Pope was attacked....<<<<<<<

Hmmm. The research papers I unearthed say in March, (actually Dec - March) currents flow to the east. But they also found them at times flowing north-west in Feb! (And I can attest first hand to currents not following the expected direction in JS at certain times.)

Now something from your previous post. You said;

>>>>>But this report is slightly different than the one posted above as it is based on the second hand report by a Dutch Navy officer who heard the story from Meijer in captivity. It would be worthwhile to verify KtZ Moerman's official report. Note that this is a different Moerman than the Captain of the Augustina!<<<<<<

*Just to be clear, you refer here to the excerpt from the book in Dutch (Varen in Oor.), correct?

So we have;
1) Meijers statement in 1945. (*Is this his only statement?)
2) The Dutch book in 1948 that, if my above assumption is correct, you say comes secondhand from a Dutch Navy officer?*

*So, besides Edwards much later account, are there any others statements or accounts that anyone knows of?

*And what of the supposed two Chinese survivors. Did they make statement's?

*And where did they come ashore, I have read both Borneo and Java, and it can't be both.

TIA

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• OK - nuyt on Jun 16, 2015, 1:00 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement