Return to Index  

Re: Tommy Guns

July 9 2015 at 4:44 PM
No score for this post
nuyt  (Login nuyt)
Owner

Response to Nelson, my answers to the questions you posed to me

"Now I am not familiar at all re WWII 'hand held' Jap weapons. But re the word 'tommy gun', couldn’t it be used by Meijer just as a generic term to mean any rapid firing hand hell weapon? After all, if one was being fired at your not sticking around to take names and addresses, so could it just be a generic term for a rapid firing weapon that an Allied 'lay' person would call a 'tommy gun'? If so what is the smallest rapid firing weapon in SNLF or IJN hands at the time? Or as Nuyt has said, maybe it was a real (captured) tommy gun, but did the Japs really need to use captured weapons at that stage in the war?"

Absolutely possible, the IJA used captured US tanks from the Phillipines during their invasion of Java. Weapons, vehicles and other equipment was often immediately incorporated in IJA units, especially when it was modern equipment the Japanese lacked. So IJN sailors could have captured Tommyguns from Australian or Dutch troops a few days before on Borneo, Celebes or Ambon.

This message has been edited by nuyt on Jul 10, 2015 12:29 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Not I being quoted - Nelson on Jul 10, 2015, 12:40 AM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement