Return to Index  

and another one....maybe

August 26 2015 at 4:12 PM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to Contemporary report on coast artillery in the defense of the Philippines

Jim,

A pity that someone at some point had made so free with the DECLASSIFIED stamp. As the file description indicates, there is no author for the document other than the U.S. Army. Nonetheless, the title is remarkably similar in form to that of a report ostensibly authored postwar by Col. Albert C. Searle, captured on Java in March 1942. The latter document is titled “Official Report on combat efficiency of U.S. Army [field] artillery in Java”. The only citation I’ve read has “U.S. Army artillery”, but it occurs that “field” may have been unintentionally omitted from that citation. I believe you’re a regular user at CARL and if so, very likely you have a contact or two whom you find particularly reliable. Wonder if you would attempt to find the document I cite, with and without Searle as author, and with and without “field” preceding “artillery”.

I have tried assiduously to find the Searle document at the National Archives, the Center for Military History, and the Military History Institute, but just no trace. If such a report was made, the only obvious author would have been Colonel Searle, the sole American regular field artillery officer made a prisoner of war on Java.

Thanks,

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Re: and another one....maybe - Jim Broshot on Aug 27, 2015, 5:12 AM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement