Return to Index  

Re: Of CARL, 3inch guns, &c.

August 28 2015 at 9:53 AM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to Of CARL, 3inch guns AND OT - Junior Barristers

Jim,

> Would there have been anything published in postwar issues of THE FIELD ARTILLERY JOURNAL? >

Hmmm, I dunno, but good thinking.

> I went to Kansas City MO a few weekends ago and got to spend two hours in the NATIONAL WORLD WAR I MUSEUM (at the Liberty Memorial). Very impressive place and I wish I had more time to spend there that day.

They also have a U S Army 3-inch field gun. I took a photograph, the placard says “U. S. 3 in Field Gun, Model of 1895 and Carriage, Model of 1902” And a whole lot more artillery also. >

Just for a MO', I thought that starter sentence was the west-of-the-Mississippi version of the jokes that begin, “Once went to Philadelphia....” More seriously—and with no intention of splitting hairs—there was NOT a Model 1895 U.S. Army 3-inch field gun. Brief history: the army used various models of the no-frills, no-on-carriage-recoil 3.2-inch breechloading field gun, whose use began in 1889 or 1890. After coming red-of-face out of two conflicts that involved either foreign observers (Span-Amer War) or outright foreign participation as duration-only allies (Peking Relief Exped), the army determined to equip itself with a modern field gun. A pilot piece was acquired from Ehrhardt (a.k.a. Rheinische Metallwaren; eventually a.k.a. Rheinmetall) in Germany, which at some point became designated the Model 1901. Many of the ideas in the Rheinische pilot gun were “lifted”, and as a consequence, after two large domestic orders, including one to Watervliet Arsenal, the third order for 50 units, complete—M1902 gun, M1902 carriage, M1902 limber, necessary accoutrements—went across the sea to Deutschland, in violation of the domestic-sales-only policy established by Congress (methinks the alternative would have involved barristers, both senior and junior, from both sides of the Pond). The subsequent Models 1904 and 1905 3-inch field guns also used the M1902 field carriage (but there are weight differences among the long progression of such carriages to fit the gun, so early carriage serials are not identical, other than visually, with later carriage serials). Hope that in-a-nutshell suffices.

So puleeze post the .jpg of the field gun-and-carriage combination you snapped at the KC museum. Could well be the placard is simply in error. Could equally be that some odd-couple combo is on the floor, and I would dearly love to eyeball it. Attached is an example of the standard American army 3-inch field gun of the pre-World War I period, on display at the First Division Museum in Cantigny, IL. Note the 16-spoked wheels, unique to U.S. gun carriages, limbers, caissons, heavy wagons, etc., from a pattern established by the Archibald Wheel Company of Lawrence, MA.

[linked image]

Thanx,

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• afterthought - Nelson on Aug 28, 2015, 10:18 AM
  •  
  • 3inch gun - Jim Broshot on Aug 29, 2015, 4:52 AM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement