Return to Index  

Are there two or three U.S. Mark VII LGs in Oz? (Nuyt note)

September 7 2015 at 5:08 PM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to Some more clues

Nuyt (et alia),

You have a presence on a number of military forums, and recently called the attention of this forum to a possible third U.S. Mark VII 3-inch marine landing gun in Australia, viz.

http://artilleryhistory.org/artillery_register/private_collection/gun_private_collection_019_us_3inch_mark_vii_landing_gun_sn1153.html

I wonder if there are in fact two such landing guns Down Under, and what first appeared to be a third such gun is actually the second, i.e., the one that sold within the past few to several years.

Some years back, a collector in Australia offered for sale one of his two U.S. Mark VII 3-inch landing guns, both of them high-speeded with Martin Parry kit. See

http://www.cannonsuperstore.com/1911mark7.html

While the guns themselves are identical, displaying horizontal sliding wedge breech mechanisms (as had the Rheinische Metallwaaren guns built in the U.S. by American and British Manufacturing Company of Bridgeport, CT), the shields differ sufficiently to be significant. One such shield—on the gun sold—is of one piece and unhinged at the top; the other, remaining in the seller’s collection, is hinged at the top. In this description, I’m ignoring the hinged bottom part of both shields, well below the gun cradle. Here are the two guns before one of them sold.

[linked image]

If the viewer stands behind and between the guns, the one on the left sold. Note that it has the one-piece top shield, with long shield braces. Its near-sister on the right has the two-piece hinged top shield, with shorter braces extending to the top of the lower part of the shield.

[linked image]

If we look at the front of the gun that the seller kept in his collection, we can readily see the two parts of the hinged top shield.

[linked image]

Finally, if we look at the gun identified as U.S. Mark VII 3-inch landing gun, serial No. 1153 (again, the first gun of the second manufacturing run of 25 pieces, begun in 1911), we can see its top shield is not hinged.

I wonder if you know Charlie C. in the Landships forum, who in turn knows one of the men who own these Mark VII landing guns. Or at least know him well enough to ask a question. Is that purchased gun No. 1153? Can he or someone else in that circle of artillery owners in Australia ascertain the serial number of the gun that did not sell? To iterate this important question: Are there two OR three U.S. Mark VII 3-inch landing guns now residing in Australia?

Thanks,

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Just two I reckon - nuyt on Sep 8, 2015, 1:40 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement