Return to Index  

couple of comments, couple of questions

September 10 2015 at 4:15 PM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to autopeds

Nuyt,

> Also a KRA gun on real wheels! It could be a Martin Parry? >

I wouldn’t be surprised, but cannot say for certain. Perhaps I’m exaggerating their importance, but I am struck by the identical wheels on every high-speeded 7-Veld gun carriage, as shown in early WWII photos. Here is a piece in the Netherlands, revealing those same wheels (though the top shield differs a bit from that seen in Java, perhaps modified at the time of the high-speeding):

[linked image]

The very same wheel pattern adorns the closer of the U.S. Mark VII landing guns in Australia (the other, not dissimilar, wheel set seen in the farther gun may be American or Australian).

[linked image]

And speaking of Java, remember the photo Don Kehn posted seven years ago in this forum (“Captured Allied ordnance on Java”, October 12, 2008). In addition to the pair of American M1897A2 75mm guns on high-speed M2A- carriages in front, back a couple of rows are two high-speeded Krupp 75mm 7-Veld pieces. Alas, the print is quite muddy and does not reveal all the details one would wish for, but it does corroborate the use of high-speeded 7-Veld pieces by the KNIL in 1941-1942.

You’re very likely working on these answers as I write this post, and I confess I’m not clear if your contact is Charlie C. of the Landships forum OR the actual purchaser of the Mark VII landing gun, but I will be grateful if we can get the verified serial numbers of the two Mark VII guns believed to be in Oz. Can you

1. Confirm the recently purchased Mark VII is indeed serial No. 1153. If so, that should rule out a putative third Mark VII Down Under.
2. Ascertain through that network what the serial number is of the Mark VII gun remaining in the seller’s collection.

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• more than just two high-speeded 7-Veld guns evident - Nelson on Sep 10, 2015, 4:36 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement