Return to Index  

Re: Number of 75mm guns on Singapore

September 18 2015 at 5:10 PM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to Number of 75mm guns on Singapore

Before I respond, at the beginning of the third paragraph in my previous post, I wrote “Far East” when Middle East was of course intended. I’ve asked Jan to correct it, but if he hasn’t done so by the time you read this, perhaps you can substitute the correct Middle East.

Taking your prompt, I went to

http://www.network54.com/Forum/282066/message/1366224187/M+1916++US+75+mm+Field+Gun

In the top frame, the scratchbuilder has some black & white photos laid out on his bench as guides, the lower two taken in Syria during the late 1940s. The very top photo is one the forum has seen before, but in color: the M1916A1 at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, part of the large artillery collection there. In the middle distance may be seen the single surviving U.S. Model 1918 240mm howitzer, based on the earlier and somewhat larger Schneider Mortier de 280 modèle 1914 siege howitzer.

I’ve read every post—twice in fact—in the thread at

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=158277

I concede that the thrust of the discussion is on the Breda M35 47mm AT gun, captured from the Italian army variously in North and East Africa, and used in turn to arm British and Australian antitank units. The U.S. 75mm gun also serving in that role is mentioned but twice, with “Fatboy Coxy” specifying that 24 such guns made it to Singapore. What strikes me is the absolute lack of curiosity about the 75mm guns provided. I assume the writers know—or do they?—that several different American models of 75mm guns existed at the time, but don’t they wonder which one saw use in Singapore-Malaya and how extensively? After all, it was there and very likely fought.

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• 137th Field Regiment and American 75mm guns? - Jim Broshot on Sep 19, 2015, 8:33 AM
  •  
  • What the Japanese captured on Singapore - nuyt on Sep 19, 2015, 12:39 PM
  •  
  • But the one at the end of that link - nuyt on Sep 19, 2015, 12:43 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement