Return to Index  

137th Field Regiment and American 75mm guns?

September 19 2015 at 8:33 AM
No score for this post
Jim Broshot  (Login JimBroshot)

Response to Re: Number of 75mm guns on Singapore

"The U.S. 75mm gun also serving in that role is mentioned but twice, with “Fatboy Coxy” specifying that 24 such guns made it to Singapore. What strikes me is the absolute lack of curiosity about the 75mm guns provided. I assume the writers know—or do they?—that several different American models of 75mm guns existed at the time, but don’t they wonder which one saw use in Singapore-Malaya and how extensively? After all, it was there and very likely fought."

I am assuming "Fatboy Coxy" is relying on information in HISTORY OF THE ROYAL REGIMENT OF ARTILLERY THE FAR EAST THEATRE 1941-46, by General Sir Martin Farndale, for this information

BUT in Annex A "Royal Artillery Order of Battle - The Far East - 1941/42", the entry for '137th Field Rgt RA' says the unit had '24 x 25-pounders but by 30 Jan it had only 8 x 75mm HOWITZERS [my emphasis]." I can find no reference to any American 75mm GUNS being used by British/Indian forces in Malalya in this book.

FWIW, Farndale gets a bit confused about the 137th Field Regiment. He has it in Malaya as of 7 Dec 1941 as part of 11th Indian Infantry Division, but later shows it arriving with 18th Infantry Division on 8 Feb 1942. I suspect the latter may be a misprint, as 18th Infantry Division had 135th, 148th and 118th Field Regiments (according to Joslen).

So I would submit that there are no American 75mm GUNS in Malaya in 1941/1942. The nationality of the 75mm HOWITZERS actually referred to by Farndale is a mystery (?)

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Re: 137th Field Regiment and American 75mm guns? - Nelson on Sep 19, 2015, 8:36 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement