Return to Index  

Re: What the Japanese captured on Singapore

September 19 2015 at 9:53 PM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to What the Japanese captured on Singapore

> On the next page [p. 48] they mention a total of 18 pieces found. The number of 11 is mentioned earlier on in the report on page 7 and a bit further down on page 16 the number of 7 x 75mm field gun "for general use in the fortress" are mentioned. >

After perusing my own copy, I think there are two ways of interpreting these data in the table enumerating the artillery pieces captured in Singapore: (1) Taking the title of the table at its face value, such that eleven 75mm guns were taken in action positions or along the withdrawal routes, and another seven in reserve, perhaps in an artillery park or godown. If so, the IJA captured all eighteen 75mm guns on the island. (2) Taking Singapore as a generic—as is all too commonly done to describe the campaign, and as is Malaya, too—such that eleven were captured hither and yon, perhaps including Johore and even other parts of Malaya, with seven taken on the island. I don't believe we can conclude thus far from these data that the American M1916A1 field guns were restricted only to Singapore island. For one thing, the total of 18 is less than previously understood to have been present. IF indeed 18 such guns were on Singapore island, where were the remainder?

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement