Return to Index  

setting it straight

September 30 2015 at 2:03 AM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to Re: 137th Field Regiment and American 75mm guns?

For those folks who believe that I’m always right, or worse yet, that I think I’m always right, let me set your minds at ease. Quite unintentionally, I posted an error in regard to a useful source. I wrote that Robert Goodwin’s 1995 Mates and Memories: Recollections of the 2/10th Field Regiment R.A.A. “describes the disposition of the guns in place along the Johore Strait to fire on Japanese landing boats and assaulting infantry, and it makes reference to the 75mm guns as part of those defenses.” About 17 years ago, I was winding up a series of books authored by Australians in an effort to learn more about the 75mm field guns of U.S. origin that saw use in Aussie (and possibly Brit) hands during the Malaya-Singapore campaign of 1941–42. In September 2015, I remembered—incorrectly as it turns out—the Goodwin book briefly alluding to the locations of the 75mm field guns during the latter part of the campaign. Big error on my part, as the author makes no mention of such fieldpieces. On the other hand, the book I read at about the same time, Janet Uhr’s 1998 Against the Sun: The AIF in Malaya, 1941–42, does have a few details about the emplacement and usage of the 75mm guns, both in shore defense on Singapore island and as mobile pieces upcountry, but she does not specify their national origin. Just to set the record straight and not lead anyone astray.

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement