Return to Index  

Wot sale of the 3.7-inch hows?

October 2 2015 at 3:55 PM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to My error, sorry...

Jacques,

> With reference to GO 303, we know that the 3.7s (at least a few) were still in NZ in 1926 and then sold sometime after that, which makes it more likely that these were the "well worn" ones sold to Australia. >

There is no reference to, or should we harbor any belief in, the prewar or wartime sale by New Zealand of any of the eight (two batteries) 3.7-inch mountain howitzers acquired in 1926. Not to mention that “sometime after” might suggest the 1930s, and thus would hardly explain these pieces being well worn. The sale explicitly referred to by New Zealand was that of four of the briefly interim and unsat 2.75-inch mountain gun (often referred to as a 10-pounder, because it used the barrel of the previous mountain gun, but the weight of the round and its propellant both had been upscaled to become a 12.5-pounder piece). IF the four 3.7-inch mountain howitzers that changed hands c1942 did include half of those acquired in 1926, somehow and somewhere they had seen considerable action. I’m not sufficiently conversant with New Zealand’s early WWII contribution—I do know a NZ formation saw action in North Africa, though not intuitively an appropriate place for mountain howitzers—to postulate on how and where four such howitzers owned by the Kiwis during the quiet 1930s and ending up in Aussie hands on New Guinea could have got such previous wear. And I daresay that at such a dire point in the SW Pacific, the four worn howitzers would simply have been transferred rather than sold (I just cannot hear the clinking of coin betwixt Canberra and Wellington). Methinks the need for youthinks on this matter again.

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• remain perplexed - Nelson on Oct 2, 2015, 5:34 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement