Return to Index  

remain perplexed

October 2 2015 at 5:34 PM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to Wot sale of the 3.7-inch hows?

I did take a cursory look at the involvement of New Zealand formations early in WWII (unlike Australia, New Zealand did not proscribe its soldiers from serving in British Army units, but that is not relevant to the question of the early use of its 3.7-inch mountain howitzers). Such NZ formations took part in the campaigns in Greece and Crete, both seemingly good places to drag along a few mountain howitzers. But as is well known, those fights went badly, followed by the capture—collectively in both campaigns—of some thousands of British and Commonwealth troops, along with their motor transport, guns, and other heavy equipment. Those men who were evacuated from the beaches did so mainly with their rifles and ammo, and the shirts on their backs. I cannot find the involvement of Kiwi formations in the far more successful campaign in East Africa. Thus I am still puzzled how and where four of the eight 3.7-inch mountain howitzers acquired by NZ in 1926, likely trained on during the peaceful 1930s and putatively passed on to the Aussies for use in New Guinea, had become so worn through previous service.

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Re: remain perplexed - Jacques on Oct 2, 2015, 6:06 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement