Return to Index  

no answers yet

October 2 2015 at 9:38 PM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to Re: remain perplexed

Jacques,

> I also do not see how New Zealand would just have handed over any weaponry to Australia during the early stages of the war without some deal being struck; be it in exchange for something else or “the clinking of coin betwixt Canberra and Wellington”. >

Yeah, I agree. Probably some trade was struck, something we want for something you need, so mebbe the Kiwis got the better bargain.

> This surely does not mean that the 3.7-inch mountain howitzers were acquired in 1926, does it? >

The NZ website specifies simply that no 3.7-inch mountain howitzers were in Kiwi hands until after the end of World War I, so could be anytime between 1919 and 192–. I agree likely not as late as 1926, when the army decided that mule pack training should be discontinued. I still say short-sighted, because until those pieces were high-speeded, having the capability of mule-packing into the ‘mountings’ (to quote “Screw-Guns”) is the whole bleedin’ point of possessing mountain howitzers.

> “Well worn” from training maybe? >

For howitzers with their relatively low muzzle velocity, you’d need a whole lotta training with a whole lotta live firing. I don’t think any of the Anglo-American powers could show that amount of firing in the ‘tween-wars years to account for the degree of wear implied in the statement. So IF the statement is true, when the Aussies acquired the 3.7-inch mountain howitzers sometime in 1942, the Kiwis had to have exposed those pieces to a deal of wartime use. But where?? Greece or Crete seems unlikely to impossible, and I’m dubious if such pieces were taken to North Africa (or if so, were brought back to the SW Pacific). Go figure.

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• another thought - Nelson on Oct 2, 2015, 10:02 PM
  •  
  • Re: no answers yet - Jim Broshot on Oct 2, 2015, 10:07 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement