Return to Index  

Dad served on Bloemfontein 1941-1942

October 5 2015 at 3:43 PM
No score for this post
Linda  (Login LWDBZBee)

I am seeking information about the Bloemfontein and its relationship to the SS Penmar, if any. My dad's military records show he was on the Bloemfontein but also on the penmar. however, the only mention i can find of a ship named penmar is in the atlantic. i see that the bloemfontein sailed through the panama canal to norfolk, VA in april, 1942. I am wondering if my dad was reassigned from the blomefontein to the penmar at that time. the records do not contain enough info for me to figure that out. the penmar was torpedoed in the north atlantic on september 24, 1942. the survivors were rescued after about 3 days, arriving in iceland on october 2, 1942. His military medical records show him hospitalized at treasure island november 30, 1942. would the navy have shipped him back to the west coast for treatment because he was attached to the bloemfontein?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• S.S. PENNMAR and the US Navy Armed Guard - Jacques on Oct 6, 2015, 8:24 PM
  •  
  • Sure... - Melmoth the Wanderer on Oct 6, 2015, 8:45 PM
  •  
  • penmar captain krolikowski - helen krolikowski mccue on Jan 31, 2016, 9:43 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement