Return to Index  

Hi all

November 21 2015 at 9:21 AM
No score for this post
Geoffrey Moesker  (Login Moesker)

Response to Re: KPM ships

A year has passed since I last wrote . G20 seems like yesterday , now in Turkey . Piet contacted me a while back and gave me information regarding retrieving my Fathers medals from the Dutch Govt . Which Dad had tried for quite a while before he passed away . Anyway success and a great presentation held in Brisbane on the river by Colonel Harold Jacobs and Dutch Consul Captain Kasper Kuiper . The Colonels speech being interrupted repeatedly by a low flying F18 . Met a few veterans of Indonesia and made a few friends . Dad sailed to Indonesia on the Dempo in 1939 and served on the Boissevain , Bontekoe , Cremer and Straat Malacca with Piets Dad . I would like to find out some more history and sailing times for the Boissevain as it had some rather interesting and notorious events while Dad was on it . Piets Father and my Father sailed together for a number of years on the Straat Malacca . I have a few photos he took while in Indonesia , small black and white . The Cremer made regular troop trips to PNG , Milne Bay and surrounding Islands before being shipwrecked on St Bees during a tropical Cyclone .
He got off on the wrong side of the ship,into a lifeboat full of Indonesian sailors ( Laksas ? ) . They refused to row and were praying to Allah until Dad threatened to hit them over the head with the Tiller . They were picked up by an American Liberty ship and taken to Mackay . Later going back to salvage what they could off the Cremer .
In Amsterdam this weekend , then off to Prague for work , then back to Amsterdam .

Hope all well

Geoffrey

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement