Return to Index  

just saw your response

November 24 2015 at 1:29 AM
No score for this post
linda  (Login LWDBZBee)

Response to S.S. PENNMAR and the US Navy Armed Guard

thank you so much for your quick response to my post. i had not seen a photo of the ship before, I really appreciate that as well! sorry i just now came across your reply.

my dad's name was Glenn Weldin. At the time i posed my question, i thought that dad had first been on the bloemfontein and then on the penmar. however, i have found in his military record the following:

Reported Aboard Jan 18, 1942 Armed Guard Center (Pacific) U.S. DES Base San Diego, Calif. Detached this date 2-9-1942 to the S.S. Penmar Reported this date 4-6-1942 from S.S. Penmar Detached duty completed. Detached this date 4-8-1942 to S.S. Bloemfontein Reported this date 11-17-1942 from S.S. Bloemfontein Detached duty completed. (Closed)

so from this apparently he was first on the penmar then on the bloemfontein.

then 11-30-42 he was admitted to the hospital. military records next show:

16 apr 43 Trans NavConvHosp, Santa Cruz, Calif.
21 May 43 Trans RS, San Fran, Calif.
24 May 43 Trans Armed Guard Center (Pacific)
26 May 43 Trans NH, T.I. San Fran, Calif.
5 Aug 43 Trans NavConvHosp, Santa Cruz, Calif.
25 Sep 43 Dis NavConvHosp, Santa Cruz, Calif. Good discharge, under honorable conditions

he apparently had rheumatic fever, either as a child or contracted during military service. his death from a heart attack at the age of 44 in 1965 was deemed to be connected to his military service.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement