Return to Index  

Follow up on Scott Harley

October 18 2016 at 2:49 PM
No score for this post
Wilson Wright  (Login wwright01)

Response to Photos Of Scott Harley

Hi Tom,

Would appear that I may have been a little premature in my previous apology message. In your original post there was a question of the Scott Harley being scuttled outside Tjilajap. I am now starting to suspect that to be correct. Post from Melmoth made good case re identity and given that the crew of the Scott Harley and the JERAM clearly made it safely to the Tawali the question was how. I have now pieced together several bits of info.

1. On 22nd Feb C-in-C China Force reports:

"5. Australian minesweepers are maintaining anti filtration patrol in Sunda Strait. Three auxiliary minesweepers retained at Batavia, three with SCOTT HARLEY sail shortly for Tjilatjap."

I believe the minesweepers were the JERAM, GEMAS and either the RAHMAN or Motor minesweeper MMS No.51 (226t, 29/11/41)

2. One of the posts on this site identify the GEMAS as arriving in Tjilatjap on March 2nd and subsequently being taken out and scuttled. MMS 51 is also recorded as being scuttled south of Java to prevent capture.

All of this leads me to believe that some time between 22/23rd Feb and 1/2 March the small Scott Harley made it to Tjilatjap and were then scuttled.

Explains whay my father was still alive.

Regards,

Wilson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement