De Ruyter, Java missing, Kortenaer partly soNovember 15 2016 at 3:05 PM
No score for this post
|Felix (no login)|
Two Dutch war wrecks off the coast of Indonesia seem to have disappeared. A third wreck seems to be lacking in large part, Minister Hennis wrote to the House. Divers were searching for wrecks found traces and sonar recordings show the imprint of ships previously on the sea floor.
It concerns HNLMS De Ruyter, HNLMS Java and HNLMS Kortenaer. The ships sunk during the Battle of the Java Sea in 1942. The battle sent 915 Dutch sailors, including Rear-Admiral Karel Doorman, and 259 crew members of Indonesian origin to a watery grave.
In 2002, amateur divers found the wrecks. However, an international team of divers now finds that they are missing.
The three Dutch ships were sunk in 1942 at an engagement with the Japanese fleet. Hennis reports that she is very concerned about the disappearance.
"The Battle of the Java Sea is part of our collective memory. The wrecks are silent witnesses of this tragic event and set the stage for the many stories about the horrors of war, but also the camaraderie between people on board."
According to the government, there is still insufficient information to determine the circumstances of the disappearance. It wants to investigate it, along with other countries. Hennis already stressed, however, that desecration is a serious offense.
The disappearance of the wrecks came to light during an expedition which was put in motion by the Karel Doorman Fund. That would, in view of the 75th anniversary of the Battle of the Java Sea on February 27, 2017, diving to the wrecks in order to establish the locations for the relatives. Nor could thus be emphasized the status of war grave.
My excuses for the poor translation but google, like their political opinions, is not very accurate with translations from Dutch
Re: De Ruyter, Java missing, Kortenaer partly so - Jan Visser on Nov 15, 2016, 4:23 PM
I find this 'vanishing' very very hard to believe - Kevin D on Nov 15, 2016, 5:06 PM
- Yeah, i know - Felix on Nov 15, 2016, 5:37 PM
- I disgaree Felix........................ - Kevin D on Nov 15, 2016, 5:47 PM
- Proof - Felix on Nov 15, 2016, 7:12 PM
- Seems 'vanishing' story IS correct!!!!!!!! - Kevin D on Nov 16, 2016, 7:29 PM
- Its not about being right - Felix on Nov 17, 2016, 7:40 PM
- Actually these illegal salvage operations are much simpler................ - KevinD on Nov 17, 2016, 8:34 PM
- a bit odd - Sergei on Nov 17, 2016, 9:49 PM
- Sergei, do you really think.............. - KevinD on Nov 18, 2016, 10:47 AM
- Possibly - Felix on Nov 17, 2016, 10:49 PM
- Well, given they used that barge............................ - KevinD on Nov 18, 2016, 10:39 AM
Dutch wrecks confirmed missing - Jan Visser on Feb 13, 2017, 7:43 AM