Return to Index  

I find this 'vanishing' very very hard to believe

November 15 2016 at 5:06 PM
No score for this post
Kevin D  (no login)

Response to De Ruyter, Java missing, Kortenaer partly so

With all due respect and no offense whatsoever to you Felix I find this story as reported impossible to believe!

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2016/11/dutch-wwii-ship-wrecks-disappear-from-java-sea-illegal-salvage-rife-in-region/

And the key to my disbelief can be found in the following excerpted wording;
“……However, the two cruisers have vanished, as has part of the destroyer, the minister told MPs on Tuesday. The discovery of the illegal salvage was made by divers during preparations for next year’s 75 year anniversary commemorations. ……….The divers found traces of where the ships had been using underwater photography and sonar.”

If they had said they found evidence of salvage on the cruisers, or just the remains of heavily salvaged wrecks, I could accept that, but completely 'vanished' and just traces of where they had been, well pardon my French and excuse me but I am calling bullshit to that. I have seen first hand many heavily salvaged wrecks and none of them simply 'vanished'.

Of course maybe the newspapers just cocked up (no surprise there) what the divers actually reported, or maybe the divers simply looked in the wrong place.

Hopefully more info will surface (no pun intended) in next few days, and maybe even the names of the divers so more could be verified.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Yeah, i know - Felix on Nov 15, 2016, 5:37 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement