Return to Index  

two questions

November 20 2016 at 10:27 PM
No score for this post
Alice  (no login)

Response to a bit more

I have two questions on your recent postings, Nelson.

In your first one you mention two classes of American pre-dreadnoughts mounting 7-inch guns (non-main guns). In Antony Preston's "Battleships of World War I: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of all Nations 1914/1918 (published 1972), I can find only one class of such ships with 7-inch guns, the Connecticut Class (two 2 x 12in turrets; four 2 x 8in turrets; 12 x 7in in port and starboard broadside batteries; 20 x 3in similarly arranged). The Connecticut Class consisted of six battleships: CONNECTICUT, LOUISIANA, VERMONT, KANSAS, MINNESOTA, and NEW HAMPSHIRE, and their general description appears on pages 234-235. In the following class, on pages 236-237 of Preston, are the first true U.S. dreadnoughts, SOUTH CAROLINA and MICHIGAN. The only thing that occurs to me is that the Connecticut Class was maybe divided into two subclasses? No other U.S. battleship class mounted 7-inch guns, at least that I can find.

In your second lengthy posting, you refer to the 7-inch guns as tertiary. In this case, I think that designation is not correct. IMO, tertiary guns are smaller -- 5in, 4in, 3in --and there is usually a bit of a jump in size between the secondary and tertiary guns. Again, IMO, both the 8-inch and 7-inch guns, because of their negligible bore difference, must be considered secondary. Of course, having both 8-inch and 7-inch guns, with the need for two closely different ammunition supplies, highlights the silliness so often of pre-dreadnought battleship design.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Re: two questions - Nelson on Nov 21, 2016, 4:31 AM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement