Return to Index  

photo of USN 7-inch gun emplaced on Bora Bora

December 11 2016 at 4:54 AM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to dutch coastal arty, 180mm

Sergei et alia,

In my previous postings, I have made reference to the Mark I and Mark II 7-inch BL guns installed in the broadside batteries of certain American predreadnought battleships. After these ships had been declared obsolete and scrapped, the 7-inch guns went into storage and thereafter in World War II saw service in harbor and coast defense batteries. One example on the U.S. west coast was two-gun Battery Zeilin at San Diego, CA, originally manned by American marines and transferred to the army’s Coast Artillery in late December 1941. The battery served until its deactivation sometime in 1943, when modern coast defense batteries were completed and manned.

In the Pacific islands, a foursome of 7-inch guns protected Bora Bora, a French protectorate garrisoned by U.S. forces beginning in early 1942. These guns were, as elsewhere, installed on their original pedestal mounts used in the early 20th century predreadnoughts. The Dutch in the NEI had but limited time in late 1941/early 1942 to finish their own defenses, and thus the former American 7-inch guns—published sources designate them variously as 180mm or 178mm guns—whose emplacement was completed (only on Madoera Island) before the Japanese captured the islands, almost certainly also saw installation on their original pedestal mounts. Such a configuration would have restricted their maximum range to 15,500 meters. The Bora Bora guns survive in situ and a photo of one them appears below.

[linked image]

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• ranges in yards or meters - Manx Kat on Dec 19, 2016, 3:45 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement