Return to Index  

Re: ranges in yards or meters

December 22 2016 at 11:33 AM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to Re: ranges in yards or meters

Guys,

> I think Nelson got his range figures from one of Friedman's books. >

The 16,500 yards or 15,090 meters for the USN Mark II 7-inch/45cal gun on its original pedestal mount, permitting 15° max elev, came from the Naval Weapons website, which does reference both Campbell and Friedman. See

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_7-45_mk2.php

The 15,500 meters originated with the two Japanese officers who examined the Allied ordnance matériel on Java in 1942, duly translated in Monograph No. 68. Whether this figure came from the Dutch or was an estimate by the Japanese, I’m not certain. The difference between 15,090 and 15,500 meters is 410 meters or 448 yards or one-quarter mile, not much to quibble about. Normally, there is a not inconsiderable difference between the effective maximum range and the actual maximum range of a particular gun, thus a mere 410 meters is hardly such.

That written, my uncle served for part of WWII with D Battery, 8th U.S. Coast Artillery. That unit was armed with four 155mm GPF rifles (Grande Puissance Filloux, named for its designer, Col. Louis J.F. Filloux, French Army). As with others, my uncle said that the GPF was highly accurate to ten miles or a bit more, but then its accuracy fell off rapidly with any additional range attempted. The Tanignak collection includes a nice shot of the GPF on a 360° Panama mount, which adapted the French field gun to an American coast artillery piece having greater and quicker traverse, in order to track fast-moving enemy warships.

[linked image]

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• an error corrected and a bit more info - Nelson on Dec 28, 2016, 11:14 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement