Return to Index  

Re: Has Anyone Read This Book?

February 27 2017 at 8:59 AM
No score for this post
Jan Visser  (Login Visje1981)
Moderators

Response to Has Anyone Read This Book?

Hi Tom,

I have the book, they're quite common here in the Netherlands, so if you decide to get one, don't pay too much.

Up until the late 1970s, I can imagine there were very few books on the ships on the ships of the RNN (Vermeulen, Lenton), so Von M√ľnching adds a little. Von M√ľnching is considered an authority, so few mistakes I can find (not including information that came to light after his book came out) but not too much depth either.

Similar to Lenton's booklets in depth and detail, with B&W-photos. A5-size. Chris Mark's book has more detail and better photos (glossy A4), but also has its mistakes.

What all books lack are context: why did the RNN buy/build the ships did they did (from a strategical/tactical point of view), what were their strenghts & weaknesses, how did they hold up during wartime, was the design philosophy correct in retrospect, etc.

The definitive book on the ships of the RNN hasn't been written yet ... most insightful so far is Jaap Anten's book on the RNN Submarines (Navalisme ..).

Jan

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Your Thoughts? - Tom on Mar 6, 2017, 11:43 PM
  •  
  • Re: Has Anyone Read This Book? - Felix on Apr 5, 2017, 10:09 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement