Return to Index  

Marmon Herrington armoured cars, Marks II and III

February 11 2018 at 12:10 PM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to Green

> The easiest way to pick that this overturned Marmon Herrington Armoured Car is MK III, is the external headlights on each of the front mudguards. They are clearly identifiable on this Marmon Herrington MK III Armoured Car. This is also evident on FE 481 and FE 482. The headlights on the MK II were inside the armoured front doors. >

First of all, so that everyone knows which IWM photos are being discussed, here is the only one I can find, FE 481.

[linked image]

Luigi, would you kindly post FE 482, so that I and others may see it. If for some reason you cannot do so, can you at least describe it. For example, was the photo taken at the same location as FE 481?

As to the ease of differentiating between the Marks II and III, the headlamps are one way, although those of the Mark II, as you’ve pointed out, are not readily seen. Other obvious differences are in the wheelbase: the Mark II is longer (and more ungainly looking) at 3.4 m, whereas the Mark III is shorter (and more pleasing to the eye) at 2.97 m. As I have already specified, the Mark II carries its unditching or sand ramps outside the rear wheel wells, whereas they are longer and carried between the wheels on the Mark III. See the elegant model of the Mark II by Les Clancy and the equally nice rendering of the Mark III (source unidentified) below. Note that the slope of the body armor on the rear of the Mark II is more gradual (more like a bevel) than that of the Mark III (which resembles the back of a van, when it has the single rear door).

[linked image]

[linked image]

The spare tire (tyre) is carried on the right side on the Mark II as shown immediately below, but either on the left rear side OR on the rear itself on the Mark III (in the former instance, the Mk III has that single rear door; in the latter instance it lacks that door). See the line of Mark III reconnaissance cars below; also the overturned Mark III on the Muar-Bakri Road has a rear-mounted spare tire (see my previous posting, January 25, 2018).

[linked image]
[linked image]

> I have also received the comment that these other Bren Gun Carriers might still have been at the vehicle park when Singapore surrendered. >

Four and a half years ago, in another discussion forum, R. Mark Davies claimed the Marmon Herrington armoured cars were similarly not entirely issued during the campaign for Malaya-Singapore.

Am still waiting for Jacques to materialize. Come on, beam him up Scotty.

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• more photos Marmon Herrington armoured car Marks II and III - Nelson on Feb 11, 2018, 8:55 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement