Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Still Wrong. Let me try to help one last time
    • Don Kehn, Jr. (no login)
      Posted Dec 5, 2011 3:42 AM

Whatever you read or thought you found at hyperwar is incorrect.

1.) HOUSTON's senior surviving officer (MAHER) was her gunnery officer: he would therefore know as well as anyone what kinds of totals were aboard the ship & what was fired off in her last battles. Her Air Defense officer (GALBRAITH) also survived and left extensive accounts.

2.) The turret officers from Turrets I (HAMLIN) and II (C.D.SMITH) both survived and left extensive records.

3.) Here are the numbers. {This isn't rocket science, but all of this prattle PROVES beyond any question the futility & idiocy of producing (researching/writing) History by committee...}

HOUSTON's 8" Main Battery fired 197 salvos (give or take one or two) at Java Sea. That equals 591 eight-inch shells, let's say (197 X 3 = 591).
      At Sunda Strait she fired about 60 salvos in all, or approximately 180 eight-inch (60 X 3 = 180).
      That equals roughly 771 (give or take two one or two salvos) and is nowwhere near the "900" you say you found. (I cannot find that specific account.)
      4.) 900 is what we believe her total main battery eight-inch allotment was going into the war, and makes perfect sense as there are records that stated they moved "300" eight-inch projectiles & twice as many powder charges (or more) from the aft magazines to the forward.
      Other messages sent from CA-30 after the Battle of the Java Sea stated the ship had about 50 rds per gun, or 300 (6 X 50 = 300).
      900 - 300 = 600, which is quite close to the 591 total.

MAHER's account states the ship fired about 750 rds of 5" common + about 50 rds of 5" star shell at Sunda Strait, or approx. 800 5" rds in all. That is not a small total, but she had much more than that aboard.

Therefore, we can reasonably conclude that the ship WAS indeed low on eight-inch main battery ammo, but NOT LOW on 5" AA ammo, and in no sense is that arbitrarily 'picking & choosing'...

Don

Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address