<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Nelson
(no login)

Re: second wave

No score for this post
January 24 2015, 7:22 AM 

> I think you'll find the first wave of the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbour started something like just before 8 in the morning local time. >

I agree with that time estimation. Please note, however, that there is no place I know of on Oahu named Pearl Harbour, a place name and thus a proper noun. Just as Coal Harbour in British Columbia is so spelled, Pearl Harbor in Hawaii (then a territory, now a state) is so spelled. For example, see Glen Williford and Terrance McGovern, 2003, Defenses of Pearl Harbor & Oahu 1907–1950, put out by Osprey, a well known British publisher of military and naval books, and not specifically as the American edition.

> The second wave came about an hour later, and at that time Jagersfontein was entering. >

I agree with the time estimation of the former event. At that time, Jägersfontein was already in the approaches to Honolulu Harbor. She had been cooling her heels outside the harbor since before 8 a.m., but was in the channel around 8:35 or 8:40, still before the second wave hit Pearl Harbor. She is estimated to have opened fire at just about 9 a.m., on aircraft of the second wave.

> It tied up at about 0915, according to a report from the Dutch Consul in Honolulu at the time. >

I agree with that time estimation. Thus it is doubtful that she entered the channel as late as 8:55 and tied up 20 minutes later, particularly with all that was going on.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Jacques
(no login)

JAGERSFONTEIN - no umlaut

No score for this post
February 4 2015, 6:06 PM 

Nelson,

You might be thinking of that well-known German digestif made with 56 herbs and spices but let me be the one to remind you that JAGERSFONTEIN is spelled without the umlaut!
Regards,

Jacques

Milton
(Login msmithco)

Port of call of theBloemfonein in 1941

No score for this post
February 5 2015, 2:25 AM 

John
I know this is a little late coming but I have not had this information for very long. This I know Re: Bloemfonein in 1941. The ship departed San Francisco on July 22, 1941 and i know that there were 20 to 25 young men who had volunteered to go to China on board. It was believed that eight were pilots and the rest were either radiomen or mechanics. The ship landed in Honolulu on July 28, 1941 and departed that same day for Manila and it arrived in Manila on Aug. 19, 1941.

I am writing a book about one of the passengers aboard the Bloemfonein on that voyage so i can't share my information beyond what i have here. I will keep you in mind if and when i get a publisher. At that time you can have it all.

Milton

Nelson
(no login)

Re: JAGERSFONTEIN - no umlaut

No score for this post
February 5 2015, 3:41 AM 

Jäcques,

Okay, okay, no umlaut in Jagersfontein/Jagersfontein. And no mo’ Excelsior Diamond, mined there in 1893 (instead we have Ten Li’l Indians). Still don’t descend hardly to the level of Pearl “Harbour”.

Nëlson

mark barone
(Login markbayarea)

ss perida

No score for this post
March 25 2015, 1:38 AM 

My father was a u.s. crewman on the SS Perida I think on that trip. He remember all the details of the delivery of the British soldiers to Canada. He is trying to find any pictures of that trip that other people might have. He said that the only new clothes the p.o.w.s were issued by the British army were heavy wool and this was in the peak of tropical heat. So the American captain issued light American khakis to all the British p.o.w.s from the ships stores.

Jan Visser (moderator)
(Login Visje1981)
Moderators

Re: US Marines on Bloemfontein

No score for this post
March 26 2015, 6:15 PM 

Mr. Reeves,

There is a way to piece together the voyages of the Bloemfontein. Mr. Henk Meurs is caretaker of the archives of the Netherlands Shipping & Trading Committee. The archives (among other things) contain the crew rosters for Dutch-flagged ships during World War II, and als has a record of movements for each ship. I don't know if rosters of troops carried on board are included in the archives, but you could try. If they aren't, you could try finding the official unit history.

Henk Meurs can be contacted via the following website:
http://members.ziggo.nl/hmeurs/

Kind regards,
Jan

Arnold broeders
(no login)

My father was on SS Bloemfontein in 1948

No score for this post
June 27 2015, 7:39 PM 

My father returned to Holland from South Africa in 1948

Arnie
(Login akakin12)

Sea Bees on the Bleomfontein

No score for this post
July 18 2015, 10:44 PM 

You might want to read this book about your father and mine too during WWII.

https://books.google.com/books?id=JSN-yuAweSgC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

G.J. Geurtsen
(no login)

Mutiny on ms Bloemfontijn

No score for this post
August 8 2017, 12:00 PM 

Dear All,

Where can I find more information on the M/V Bloemfontijn her history during the WW2, I was told by my neighbor in Capelle aan den IJssel, The Netherlands to look up the history of this vessel specifically during WW2 times (when chartered as troopship to the US

Kind regards,
Hans Geurtsen
Mahlerstraat 1
2901 GE Capelle aan den IJssel
The Netherlands
mobile phone : +31 630 60 1902
e-mail : gj.geurtsen@live.nl

G.J. Geurtsen
(no login)

M/V Bloemfontijn

No score for this post
August 8 2017, 12:26 PM 

Dear Sir,

Is the person by any chance Mr CR Stjeward ? (name is correctly written)

KRGDS
Hans Geurtsen
e-mail : gj.geurtsen@live.nl

Jacques
(no login)

History of the Bloemfontein

No score for this post
August 14 2017, 4:40 PM 

Hallo Hans,

You will find more about the history of the Bloemfontein by reading the comments on this very thread than you will anywhere else.

Regards,

Jacques

Judy Groves
(no login)

MS BLOEMFONTEIN

No score for this post
September 18 2017, 10:19 PM 

Jacques - you may have heard from my sister-in-law, Anita, more than a year ago. She alerted me to your information. I have in my father's archives military evidence that he boarded the Bloemfontein December 12, 1942, crossed the equator and was transported to the South Pacific during WWII

Jacques
(no login)

M.S. Bloemfontein

No score for this post
September 22 2017, 12:56 PM 

Thanks Judy.

Please post anything that we might find interesting.

Regards,

Jacques

< Previous Page 12 3 4 5 6 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement