<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Fazant commanding officer dies as a prisoner of war?

September 23 2009 at 9:12 AM
No score for this post
ian  (Login mcleodi)

Hi Everyone,
Is there a definitive list of Dutch Prisoners of war for all ranks?
and does anyone know the co of the Djampea I have 2E Officier P T Geelhard however I tried the Sources in Holland and they dont know him and yet he is recorded as the CO?
The poster reference the Fazant please let us know his name! or could anyone else inform me and Bob?
Best regards Ian

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jan Visser
(Login Visje1981)
Moderators

Djampea commanding officer - P.T. Geelhoed

No score for this post
September 26 2009, 11:16 AM 

Hi Ian,

I have P.T. Geelhoed listed as commanding officer of Djampea. He had the rank of "2nd officer" in the Gouvernements Marine.

[Source: Ph.M. Bosscher "De Koninklijke Marine in de Tweede Wereldoorlog", volume 2, pp. 391 and F.C. Backer Dirks "De Gouvernements Marine in het voormalige Nederlands-Indiƫ 1861-1949", volume 3, pp. 157.

This message has been edited by Visje1981 on Sep 26, 2009 11:17 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Jan Visser
(Login Visje1981)
Moderators

Fazant commmanding officer - F.J. Keizer

No score for this post
September 26 2009, 11:23 AM 

Commanding officer of Fazant was E.J. Keizer, he held the rank of "Gezaghebber" (Bosscher). Another source mentions his name was F.J. Keizer (Backer Dirks)

I checked www.ogs.nl and I found the following:

Keizer, Frederik Jacob
born Haarlem October 2, 1898
died Semarang (Bangkong camp) April 23, 1945.
Luitenant-ter-zee 1e klasse.

This officer was not a graduate of the naval academy, so that makes him Naval Reserve (KMR).

This message has been edited by Visje1981 on Sep 26, 2009 11:23 AM

IAN
(no login)

Re: Fazant commmanding officer - F.J. Keizer

No score for this post
September 26 2009, 11:46 AM 

Hello Jan,
Thanks for that! any chance you know his Christian names for Geelhoed? Many thanks for this Do you want my updated casualty lists which are in Excel!
Best regards Ian

Jan Visser
(Login Visje1981)
Moderators

Re: Fazant commmanding officer - F.J. Keizer

No score for this post
September 26 2009, 2:52 PM 

Hi Ian,

Yes, would love to receive that list!

Just checked some more sources. It seems that "F.J." are the correct initials. There was a F.J. Keizer with the rank of "Gezaghebber" in the Gouvernements Marine. Gezaghebber equaled the rank of Luitenant-ter-zee der 1e klasse (Lieutenant-Commander). It seems however that F.J. Keizer was not actually Marine Reserve, but was militarized with the rest of the Gouvernements Marine in september 1939.

The same goes for P.T. Geelhoed. I'm sorry, but I don't have any additional information on him. He held the rank of "2e officier", which was equal to Luitenant-ter-zee der 3e klasse (Sublieutenant/Ensign).

Both officers are listed in a section titled "Personnel of the Gouvernements Marine to whom the contents of the Royal Decree of March 7, 1929 apply". I'm not familiar with the contents of this decree.

Source: Naamboek Koninklijke Marine 1940, pp.95

This message has been edited by Visje1981 on Sep 26, 2009 3:32 PM

Felix
(no login)

2e Officier Gouvernements Marine

No score for this post
September 27 2009, 3:18 AM 

Generally the officers which were militarized in the Navy were either LT jg or ARO Sgt. The reason is that the 3rd Lt rank did not yet excist in 1942. The graduate midshipmen had the 1 stripe were still revered to as "jonker".

The usual practice for merchant marine and gouvernements navy types was the to start at the lowest officer rank possible and work up by seniority. The highest rank they could attain was Overste or Lt Col. Im not sure any one of the seagoing GM had that rank. Their rank wasn't transferable either. They would not be able to serve in that rank in the regular navy.

Tom Womack
(no login)

Please Define ARO Sgt

No score for this post
September 27 2009, 10:38 AM 

I'm not familiar with this terminology. Can you please spell it out further? Thanks.

Jan Visser
(Login Visje1981)
Moderators

Re: 2e Officier Gouvernements Marine

No score for this post
September 27 2009, 11:24 AM 

Felix,

I'm not entirely clear on the point you're trying to make, could you elaborate?

Also, could you quote a source for your statement. I have the following passage from "Naamboek Officieren 1940", pages 16 and 17, which states:

"Een gezaghebber is in rang gelijkgesteld met een luitenant-ter-zee der 1ste klasse; een 1ste officier en een 1ste werktuigkundige zijn in rang gelijk geteld met een luitenant ter zee der 2e klasse; een 2de en een 3de officier zoomede een 2de en een 3de werktuigkundige zijn in rang gelijkgesteld met een luitenant ter zee der 3de klasse"

Translation:

A "gezaghebber" is equal in rank to a lieutenant-commander. A "1st officer" and a "1st engineer" are equal in rank to a lieutenant. A 2nd and a 3rd officer and a 2nd and a 3rd engineer are equal in rank to a sublieutenant".

Please note that the ranks of gezaghebber, eerste officier etc. don't translate well into English. When I mention "1st officer", it's actually a rank in the Gouvernements Marine and does not necessarily indicate the position of the person on board a ship (where the 1st officer indicates "executive officer" (XO), the second in command on board that ship). Same goes for the engineers.

Jan Visser
(Login Visje1981)
Moderators

Re: Please Define ARO Sgt

No score for this post
September 27 2009, 11:24 AM 

Hi Tom,

ARO is an abbreviation for "Aspirant Reserve Officier".

Jan

Tom Womack
(no login)

Thanks (N/T)

No score for this post
September 27 2009, 7:05 PM 

Felix
(no login)

Militarized Officers

No score for this post
September 28 2009, 12:09 AM 

Actually your correct, the rank of LTZ3 was in use in 1940. It was however a rank for a midshipman who had graduated. It wasnt usually used for officers coming in from other branches. The source for this is in the book "Enys House".

The same rank equavalency was defined for marine pilots and merchant marine officers. They would be miltarized in a navy rank lower then their company or department rank while they were working for the government.

The ARO Sergeants were often merchant marine officers of lower ranks. They had officer status, ate in their mess, but wore officer uniforms with banana peel stripes. When were promoted they would become LTZ2JG's not LTZ3.

marleen
(no login)

f.j. keizer

No score for this post
November 29 2009, 8:05 PM 

Hi,
My grandfather was F.J. Keizer. He died in Camp BangKong in 1944. His name was Fredrik Jacob.
Kind regards,
Marleen

marleen
(Login marleenportegies)

f.j. keizer

No score for this post
November 29 2009, 8:14 PM 

Hi,
My grandfather was F.J. Keizer. He died in Camp BangKong in 1944. His name was Fredrik Jacob.
Kind regards,
Marleen

Ruud
(Login HeKlo)

Fazant FJ Keizer

No score for this post
March 31 2016, 6:31 PM 

The name of my grand father is FREDRIK JACOB Keizer and married to Christine Jacoba Schuurmans, was born in Haarlem Netherlands. My mother (Louise Fredrika) was born in Koepang. My grandfather died in Bankong. My grand mother and kids were in Tjideng and went after the war to Holland. If any one knows more about my Grand father....Pls inform me

Kind regards

Ruud de Heer

Jan Visser
(Login Visje1981)
Moderators

Re: Fazant FJ Keizer

No score for this post
April 16 2016, 1:18 PM 

Hi Ruud,

The only additions I have are as follows:

Frederik Jacob Keizer
Born October 2, 1898 in Haarlem
Gezaghebber Gouvernements Marine
Died April 23, 1945 in camp Bangkong near Semarang.
Cause of death: exhaustion
Buried Kebong cemetary in Semarang.

HTH,
Jan

S. Geelhoed
(no login)

P.T Geelhoed

No score for this post
October 8 2017, 2:28 AM 

Hi ,

I am the daughter of P.T.Geelhoed. I am not sure what information you are looking for. but you are welcome to contact me.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement