<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Help with TOE for a Coast Artillery or AAA unit 1942/43

January 12 2011 at 2:29 PM
  (no login)

This forum and the pursuit of knowledge has prompted interest in knowing what equipment the 214th CA (214th AAA Group) may have been assigned in San Francisco POE when they departed for the South Pacific on Sept. 24, 1942 and then when they arrived on Guadalcanal Jan 1943. As mentioned on various posts in this forum, I have mentioned what past members of this regiment recall bring with them-I will go there later-what I would like to find out now is what the TOE or TO&E (Table of Organization and Equipment) for this regiment might have been. It is understood Field manuals and normal protocols change during War time and the hast to move men and materials to the front. But it is important to understand what they may have or should have been issued.

If anyone has access or has found a FM for this period, this would be helpful.

This regiment was formed from Georgia National Guard units scattered among various towns in Georgia before the War. Their Headquarters was located in Washington, Georgia and they were a Coastal Artillery unit. November 25, 1940 they were federalized into Active service, expecting to serve for one full year. Pearl Harbor and the WWII began, these men as many others serving in the National Guard would now leave their loved ones behind for the duration of the War. Because many of these men were trained in Coastal Weapons, they left the unit and started New Cadres or other units. The regiment was filled with men enlisting around the country like my father. In Camp Stewart the 214th CA was one of the first to bivac on this new AA training base before they left for San Francisco, California to establish coastal defenses, protecting the ship yards, railways, ports. It is possible they brought the guns they trained on from Georgia, 37mm, 90mm guns, 50 caliber MG. In California the Benicia Arsenal was their headquarters and may have supplied the weapons they would bring with them to Guadalcanal. Shortly they received orders to begin staging at Cp. Stoneman-major staging area which prepared troops for Pacific deployment. As mentioned they left on Sept. 24, 1942 for Auckland New Zealand aboard the Mount Vernon-"old trans-pacific passenger ship commissioned by the US. I should note - the movement aboard train to the POE was at night, "Darkened" meaning silence, drapes pulled, under cover of night "Secrecy". They loaded the ship with their equipment and were on their way. Most likely they only knew they were going to sea, no idea where.

Story continues they arrive in Auckland New Zealand work the port security and camp along with other troops inland, train and prepare for further deployment. Then move to Noumea New Caledonia where training intensifies and they provide defense at one of the airfields pending orders for further movement. Many other combat and specialty troops stationed there, such as the Americal Division, 43rd Division and others...Then they were chosen to relieve the marine defense battalions who arrived during the initial invasion on Guadalcanal and were defending the Laguna airfield, later renamed by the Allies "Henderson Field" and the story goes on...They arrive on the island as many did piece meal starting with the main body Jan. 5, 18th and 30th of 1943.

This is a short version, less detail, to bring you up to speed and develop knowledge which may lead us to discover what equipment and when they aquired this AA equipment, as well as make of guns used.

I wrote this without consulting my paper, so if I mis-stated something, be kind.
Thanks,
Bob

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jim Broshot
(Login JimBroshot)

Re: Help with TOE for a Coast Artillery or AAA unit 1942/43

January 15 2011, 4:34 AM 

Bob:

Somewhat belatedly and I don't know how much help these will be. I also don't know if you have looked at these sources or not.

You can find and download some pre-WW2 and wartime US Army Coast Artillery Antiaircraft Artillery Field Manuals at the U S Army Heritage Collection site, they can be found in the "digitized material" section. I have downloaded most of them and there are no TOE manuals. They are the ones starting FM4- (and maybe FM44-).

http://www.ahco.army.mil/site/index.jsp

ALL of the issues of Coast Artillery Journal 1922 - 1948 can be downloaded from this site

http://www.airdefenseartillery.com/online/2010/CoastArtilleryHome.htm

And, after its name change to Antiaircraft Artillery Journal 1948 - 1954 here:

http://www.airdefenseartillery.com/online/2010/Antiaircraft%20Command%201946/Antiaircraft%20Journal/AAA%20Jounnal%20Homepage.htm

There are a lot of WW2 unit histories (mainly brigades and groups) to be found until about 1950 when the Korean War breaks out. I took a quick look the other day but did not find anything on the 214th CA. The index for each year is at the end of the Nov/Dec issue.

Respond to this message   
Edward
(no login)

Resources for Coast Artillery

January 15 2011, 5:53 AM 

Jim,

Thanks for the great links. I am researching the 101st Coast Artillery (AA) during their time at Port Moresby and Milne Bay, New Guinea in 1942.

Are you aware of any articles on them in the "Coast Artillery Journal"?

Edward

Respond to this message   
Jim Broshot
(Login JimBroshot)

Re: Resources for Coast Artillery

January 15 2011, 8:42 PM 

There is no unified index for all of the issues of Coast Artillery Journal, alas. As noted there is an index for each year at the end of the Nov-Dec issue.

A quick check turned up two articles in 1944 on antiaircraft units in the SWPA but the units are not identified by number (no doubt because of wartime security issues):

Mar-Apr 1944 "An AA Battalion in SWPA" - unit identified only as a former National Guard unit with almost two hundred years of history behind it"

Jan-Feb 1944 "Antiaircraft Artillery in New Guinea" - unit identified only as an automatic weapons battalion which arrived at Port Moresby on May 3, 1942

I posted the link to this post war Army history elsewhere. I am sure the 101st is mentioned.

Antiaircraft artillery activities in the Pacific war.
This report is a summary of the operations of antiaircraft artillery from December 1941 until August 1945 against the enemy in the Pacific theater. Engagements with aircraft, protection to airfields, supply...

http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/u?/p4013coll8,1984

(downloads in 13 parts)

Respond to this message   
Jim Broshot
(Login JimBroshot)

Re: Resources for Coast Artillery

January 16 2011, 5:19 AM 

101st Separate Coast Artillery Battalion (Antiaircraft), Georgia National Guard?

Organized 12 October 1940 from 1st Squadron, 108th Cavalry and inducted into federal service 10 February 1941.

Respond to this message   
Edward
(no login)

101st Coast Artillery Battlaion AA

January 18 2011, 6:37 PM 

Jim,

Yes, the 101st was part of the Georgia National Guard. They were originally a cavalry unit going back a ways.

I have located all published memoirs and a few unpublished ones but lack any good photos of them in New Guinea. I have been able to match up several of their claims with Japanese losses.

I hope the on-line Artillery journals contain some new information.

Edward

Respond to this message   
Bob Burns
(no login)

Re: 101st Coast Artillery Battlaion AA

January 18 2011, 6:52 PM 

Here is another link containing papers originated by early GNG units. You would have to go by the Goeargia Archives to obtain a look though.

http://www.sos.georgia.gov/archives/what_do_we_have/online_indexes/pdi/RG022/022-01-010.htm

Good Luck,
Bob

Respond to this message   
Bob Burns
(no login)

TOE for Coast Artillery 1942

January 16 2011, 3:16 AM 

Hello Jim: Good to hear from you. I sent them an e-mail I waiting to hear back.

Appreciate you help,
Bob

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Help with TOE for a Coast Artillery or AAA unit 1942/43
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index