<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Dutch Military Tribunal in Indonesia

September 27 2011 at 11:41 AM
  (no login)

Any infos about Dutch Military Tribunal in Batavia and Makassar that prosecuted Japanese?
Need infos about the tribunal creating and how many Japanese persecuted and theirs sentence.

Thanks

Nino

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Felix
(no login)

Those records remain locked

September 28 2011, 4:14 AM 

I believe the files remain sealed until 2025 or later.

Respond to this message   
nino
(no login)

Re: Those records remain locked

September 29 2011, 2:07 AM 

Thanks Felix.
Actually, I only want know a short insight about the issue, not the details.

Respond to this message   
Don Kehn Jr
(no login)

Re: Dutch Military Tribunal in Indonesia

September 29 2011, 6:44 AM 

Hi Nino,

Numbers of trials, convictions, etc. at Batavia & Makassar are accessible, I am pretty sure. I probably have all of that, actually. Let me dig through my stuff when I get a spare minute---I will be happy to help you.

You just can't access the actual trial transcripts. Very VERY VVEERRYY disappointing and frustrating! (A profoundly serious loss to PacWar historians, and IMO there can be no legitimate reasons for sealing those records...other than $$$)

Don

Respond to this message   
nino
(no login)

September 30 2011, 12:59 PM 

Thank you very much, Don.
I will gladly to waiting for your infos.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

October 7 2011, 8:35 PM 

Hello Nino,

Here is a short summary of the Dutch war trials in Indonesia after World War II.

URL:http://www.indischekamparchieven.nl/en/general-information/prosecution

I don't know whether the archive material is really still under key as Felix says it is, BUT I recently discovered a book with over 600 pages which is entirely dedicated to the Dutch prosecution of Japanese war criminals in the Dutch East Indies after World War II.

L.F. Groot: "Berechting Japanse oorlogsmisdadigers in Nederlands-Indie, 1946-1949: Temporaire Krijgsraad Batavia, Den Haag-'s-Hertogenbosch: Art & Research 1990.

Here is a short summary of the book:

GROOT, L.F. DE, Berechting Japanse Oorlogsmisdadigers in Nederlands-Indië 1946-1949. Temporaire Krijgsraad Batavia. [AUTHOR'S PROOF COPY; Eerste en enige druk in machineschrift/First and onlyTypo script edition]. Den Haag-'s-Hertogenbosch The Author/Art & Research (TYP.), 1990 Small Stout 4°., original printed wrappers. (v), 622pp. 9 black/white illustrations after drawings captioned in japanese with dutch translations, illustrating the story of two Indo-European boys (Dan Droop and Kain), arrested and interrogated after setting fire to the Canteen of "Soekarella" members at Gombong, Large fold. map of Java, 1:500.000 (reproduced from:"Schoolatlas der Geheele Aarde", 32nd. dedition, 1929), large fold. map with extensive legenda of Siam-Burma railroad-track, full-page sketch-map illustrating boundaries of the Japanese expansion, tables in text, 1, 3pp., diagramme illustrating names, ranks, sentences requisited and passed to foremost Japanese defendants, including Kenpeitai members. Extensive appendices at end of volume II, illustrating names of all 356 japanese defendants including army registration numbers and sentences passed, name-list of all filed 986 defendants brought to trial (432 sentences passed), registers compiled by Th. J. Van Houten assisted by M.P.C. Kuunders, table of contents. AUTHOR'S PROOF COPY WITH CORRECTIONS IN MS., and 10 A-4 sized printed leaves with calculations and estimations concerning its publication loosely inserted.

AUTHOR'S PROOF COPY with marginal ms. annotations and corrections, of this Massive and very detailed report of the trials against Japanese war-criminals (Including Kenpeitai-members) brought before the temporary Court Martial, under author's presidency, Batavia 1946-1949. Including extensive name-lists, ranks, military registration numers, sentences requisited and passed, background information on the Court's legal fundament, general remarks in trying war-criminals in dutch colonial Indonesia, special attention is paid to Defendants as Nozaki, Kawabe, Nakata, Suzuki Ottojiro, General-Major Yamamoto Moichiro c.s., Imamura Hitoshi, Okazaki Seisaburo, the Semaring case of forced Prostitution and the Batavia Kenpeitai section. AUSTHOR'S PROOF COPY IN ONE VOLUME with his marginal and textual corrections and annotations in Ms. in ink. Good copy. Rare. (somewhat dog-eared, vertical tear to top of front outer joint skilfully restored with clearview acidfree tape).

And finally the link to the book. Just don't look at the price and you will be fine. happy.gif

URL:http://www.gemilang.nl/detail.php?itemnr=49163

Best wishes,

Klemen

Respond to this message   
Nino
(no login)

October 10 2011, 12:13 PM 

Zivjo Klemen,

Actually, I already visit this site more than once, but didn't see the page about Prosecution :C
But, as usually, you give me a great help. Thank you very much :D

Respond to this message   
Nino
(no login)

October 10 2011, 12:16 PM 

# And finally the link to the book. Just don't look at the price and you will be fine. happy.gif

URLhttp://www.gemilang.nl/detail.php?itemnr=49163

Best wishes,

Klemen #

Can't stop to see the price ... sad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Dutch Military Tribunal in Indonesia
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index