<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New Dutch Publication about Dutch Submarine Service

March 29 2012 at 4:50 PM
  (Login GerritJ9)

Available at last, a new publication about the Dutch Submarine service in WW2. Publication has been postponed several times, but it's finally available:
"De Nederlandse Onderzeedienst in de Tweede Wereldoorlog" by Gerard Horneman. It consists of four volumes; the first (Deel 1) deals with European waters; the second with the NEI and Caribbean waters; the third (Deel 2.3) is titled "Bijlagen" or Appendices and the fourth (Deel 3) is titled "Monografie Nederlandse Onderzeeboten".
Publisher is Uitgeverij Aspekt, Soesterberg, Netherlands.
ISBN is: 978-90-5911-957-4

I don't know whether the volumes are available separately, but presumably not as all volumes have the same ISBN. I paid about 160 Euros for the complete set so it's by no means cheap, but at a first glance it looks like it is well worth the purchase price.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
kerber
(no login)

Re: New Dutch Publication about Dutch Submarine Service

March 29 2012, 9:43 PM 

Have the same series; 160 for 4 books, that contain thoroughly researched material, is not expensive and at first glance it is well worth the money!

Respond to this message   
Tom
(no login)

Just To Put Things In Perspective

March 30 2012, 1:32 AM 

160 Euro = approximately $213 USD. Add another $40-50 to get the set to the US and it gets a bit pricey! How the Euro continues to stay so strong against the Dollar despite the financial mess in Greece is beyond me:)happy.gifhappy.gif

Respond to this message   
GerritJ9
(no login)

Re: Just To Put Things In Perspective

March 30 2012, 4:47 PM 

For Dutch readers and those familiar with Dutch the books are well worth the money, but that is of course for the individual to decide- not everybody can afford to spend 160 euros in one go for four books, quite apart from exchange rate and shipping for those not living in the Netherlands.
Unfortunately for non-Dutch speakers, the books are in Dutch apart from telegrams and correspondence with the Admiralty, operational orders, patrol reports etc which were originally written in English- these are included in the original language. I'm not sure whether these books would offer very much to them apart from curiosity value plus of course the many photos.
The publisher has this about the books on his site (in Dutch):

http://www.uitgeverijaspekt.nl/boekdetail.php?id=9789059119574

Babelfish or some similar programme can probably manage a translation.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

The charts...

September 5 2012, 10:11 PM 

I am reading part 2 of the series and I have one remark: the maps are bad; even with a magnifying glass they are unreadable! Someone has a solution?

Greetings,
Kerber

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - New Dutch Publication about Dutch Submarine Service
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index