<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The floatplane lost by DERUYTER on Feb 18/19?

November 13 2012 at 6:10 AM
Melmoth the Wanderer  (no login)

Hello,

Some sources say DERUYTER had one of her Fokker CW11 floatplanes shot down as the Striking Force was making its 900-km run from Tjilatjap to Badoeng Strait in late February, and that it was shot down over Tjepoe...Is this correct? And what was it doing in that area?

TIA,

MthW

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jan Visser
(Login Visje1981)
Moderators

Re: The floatplane lost by DERUYTER on Feb 18/19?

November 14 2012, 11:11 PM 

Hi Melmoth,

That's true, she was on a message run. Will post further details later on.

Jan

Respond to this message   
Melmoth the Wanderer
(no login)

Thanks Jan

November 14 2012, 11:20 PM 

Thanks Visje. I wondered if she wasn't going to or from Surabaja on some type of errand...

Much appreciated.

MthW (dmkjr)

Respond to this message   
Jan Visser
(Login Visje1981)
Moderators

Re: Thanks Jan

November 18 2012, 6:14 PM 

Hi Melmoth,

The C-11W with registration w-12 was shot down over Tjepoe in February 18, 1942 (Bosscher).

Also, I have the following from T. Womack "The Dutch Naval Air Force against Japan" (2006), pp. 110.

"...On February 18, another of the single-engine Fokker reconnaissance plan went missing during an air raid on Soerabaja. The famed Japanese fighter ace Saburo Sakai, flying wiht the elite Tainan Air Wing, caught W-12 (flying off the cruiser De Ruyter) over Maospati, Java, while the floatplane was on patrol along the north coast of Java. Sakai broke formation just long enough to shoot down the hapless plan in flames, giving the ace his 12th kill of the war.

Although the pilot of W-12 had a parachute, his observer did not. So when the pilot bailed out, he went over the side with his crewman hanging on to his belt. Unfortunately, the force of the parachute opening caused the observer to lose his grip and fall to his death. The pilot safely reached the ground..."

Maospati and Tjepoe are about 60 kilometres apart, Tjepoe being closer to the Java sea (about 50 kms).

Seems my recollection was in error about the mail run.

HTH,
Jan

Respond to this message   
John Melmoth
(no login)

November 19 2012, 3:51 AM 

Thanks, Visje. Do you take this to mean that that particular Fokker had been detached from DERUYTER & was operating out of Surabaja?

That is, was she not on the cruiser during the run up to Badoeng Strait on the 18th?

JM

Respond to this message   

(Login Visje1981)
Moderators

November 19 2012, 10:34 PM 

Hi John,

According to H.J. Legemaate et al "Hr.Ms. Kruiser ,,de Ruyter" 1933-1942" (1999), pp. 116, the W-12 was operating out of Soerabaja.

The observer who was KIA was G.J. (George Johan) van der Boom, Luitenant-ter-zee 3e klasse KMR. According to Legemaate, G.J. van der Boom was the pilot.

Regards,
Jan

Respond to this message   
"John Melmoth"
(no login)

The wandering Fokker & 2 minor questions

November 20 2012, 3:09 AM 

Thanks, Visje. A very odd business, with the guy clinging to the other and falling...but, you answered my question. Guess Doorman's striking group had no planes of its own overhead on the 18th.
Here are 2 more related questions, although by no means important ones.

1.) Didn't either JAVA or DeRUYTER possess operational floatplanes after that operation?

2.) Did Dutch fliers/aviation ordnance personnel make any modifications to their planes'armament (as in the case of HOUSTON's SOCs) I wonder?

JM

Respond to this message   

(Login Visje1981)
Moderators

Re: The wandering Fokker & 2 minor questions

November 25 2012, 6:53 PM 

Hi John,

To answer either one of your questions, would take some time & digging. I'm afraid I don't have that time right now ...

Jan

Respond to this message   
John Melmoth
(no login)

Jan, thanks all the same, N/T

November 26 2012, 1:38 AM 

Respond to this message   
Nelson
(no login)

half dozen images of Fokker C11W

November 15 2012, 6:33 AM 

Here are six images of the Dutch floatplane, which most sources designate the Fokker C11W or C-11W, carried in these instances aboard light cruisers HrMs Sumatra, HrMs De Ruyter, and HrMs Tromp. All were taken from the AOL photo series on this aircraft.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Nelson

Respond to this message   
KevinD
(no login)

Thanks Nelson! n/t

November 15 2012, 12:23 PM 

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - The floatplane lost by DERUYTER on Feb 18/19?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index