<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HMS Scott Harley

March 20 2014 at 7:03 AM
No score for this post
Tom  (no login)

Scott Harley was a 615-ton converted minesweeper lost during the evacuation of Tjilatjap in early March. I have conflicting sources regarding her loss. One says that she was scuttled in Tjilatjap; the other states that she was sunk by Japanese ships in the Indian Ocean. I'm pretty sure the Japanese sank her, but I would like to confirm that if possible. Does anyone have more information on her loss?

Thanks...
Tommy Wo

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Nelson
(no login)

Re: HMS Scott Harley

No score for this post
March 20 2014, 9:23 AM 

HMS Scott Harley sunk on March 1, 1942, by Kondo's main force. See this pretty authoritative site:

http://www.microworks.net/pacific/battles/other_abda_engagements.htm

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Melmoth the Wanderer
(no login)

Re: HMS Scott Harley

No score for this post
March 20 2014, 9:37 PM 

Tom,

She was not scuttled at Tjilatjap so far as I know--although one sees such assertions--and even tho' I did find her listed as a victim of ARASHI and NOWAKI on 1 March, along with TORADJA at combinedfleet.com [which I must assume is Vince's source] here's an interesting, complicating fact: Binford had received word of such sinkings--a patrol vessel and/or a M/V being sunk in the vicinity of Bali Strait--prior to slipping through the IJN dragnet there; that is late on the 28th...

Unless ARASHI and NOWAKI picked up survivors of SH, I cannot see how her identity was determined, and I do not know which sources are used in the combinedfleet TROMs for those destroyers. I've not searched JACAR for any info, but if records still exist for DesDiv 4, then there would surely be something, I believe. It's not at all unusual to find such ship names recorded in English in the IJN records, for that matter.
SH was a very small, very slow, weak old auxiliary creature and burned coal evidently...

As I'm not at all concerned with non-Asiatic Fleet actions now, I admit I haven't ever attempted to sort out this (quite minor sinking) better.

FWIW,

MthW

Tom
(no login)

Thanks Guys (N/T)

No score for this post
March 23 2014, 8:18 AM 

Wilson Wright
(Login wwright01)

Scott Harley Update

No score for this post
October 16 2016, 11:58 AM 

Hi Guys, Sorry to crash this thread but if you are still interested I believe I have some updated info on the Scott Harley. Just started researching my father's war career and so far have pieced together this info.

The Scott Harley was one of the last ships out of Singapore and my father was on it, OS R Wright RN. I know he reached Tjilatjap successfully as did another ship not recorded on this website - the JERAM, a British whaler(R, 210t, 1927), also recorded as an evacuation vessel out of Singapore but with no record of loss. I have a photo of my father swimming off Tjilatjap with both ships moored off shore in the background sometime after 15th Feb.

I also have several photos of him aboard the TAWALI with the remaining crew of both the Scott Harley and the Jeram on route to Colombo. Based on this and the fact that there is no record of any Scott Harley survivors being picked up or indeed the existence of the Jeram in all the accounts you guys quote, I would believe that the ships were indeed scuppered just prior to the Tawali leaving.

I hope this helps to clear up at least this mystery. I know you guys are not in to allied shipping or the fall of Singapore as that is a British thing but I love the website and it has helped me enormously.

Best regards,

Wilson Wright
Northern Ireland

Tom Womack
(Login TomWomack)

Photos Of Scott Harley

No score for this post
October 16 2016, 4:24 PM 

Hi Wilson...

Would it be possible for you to send me copies of the photos you referenced above? I would be very interested to see them. In particular, the one of Jeram and Scott Harley at Tjilatjap.

Thanx!
Tom

Jacques
(no login)

Re: Scott Harley Update

No score for this post
October 16 2016, 8:46 PM 

Hi Wilson,

You wrote: "I know you guys are not in to allied shipping or the fall of Singapore as that is a British thing.....".
I am happy to inform you that you could not be more wrong! There is a lot of interest here, and much discussion about Allied shipping AND the fall of Singapore on this forum; some original stuff that you'd find nowhere else.

Regards,

Jacques

Wilson Wright
(Login wwright01)

Apology for yiou+

No score for this post
October 16 2016, 10:24 PM 

Hi Tom,

Did not appreciate who you are and delighted to find that I stirred up lot of interest and minor dispute. Just getting in to this. It would appear that although my father made Tjilatjap and was on the Tawali, he left the Scott Harley at Batavia and probably travelled overland by train. I assume you guys are familiar with this article which identifies my father and clearly explains events

http://www.cofepow.org.uk/pages/ships_scott_harley_passenger_list.pdf

My assumptions were based on interpretation of the photo mentioned in previous post which were incorrect. Photo shows some of the crew swimming in the sea (7 bodies) with the outline of two ships out at sea in the background. Title of picture in album is "Sundae Straits East Indies 1942" back of photo says "Taken on an island in the Sundae Straits. HMS JERAM and the stern of the Scot Harley on the right in the background. February 1942" So most likely I have assumed wrong location and not Tjilatjap - sorry. So your understanding will be correct. Based on what is projected in the article the photo could easily have been taken between 16th - 27th Feb. Have you any idea where it might be?

RE the photos : as fate would have it my scanner has ceased to function but would probably not be good enough anyway. As the photos have taken on a whole new perspective and are quite fragile I'm planning on buying a better quality photo scanner. Will send you all relevant photos when available.

Cheers,

Wilson

PS loving this!

Wilson Wright
(Login wwright01)

re Singapore interest

No score for this post
October 16 2016, 10:27 PM 

Delighted to hear it. Just started in to my research and had assumed this forum would provide many answers. More than happy to participate and share anything I find.

Regards,

Wilson

Jim Broshot
(Login JimBroshot)

Officers of Scott Harley as of February 1942

No score for this post
October 18 2016, 5:49 AM 

According to The Navy List for February 1942 (corrected through 18 January 1942)

a "J Rennie" has a rank of Lieutenant in the RNR with seniority from 30 Dec 1940 and he is assigned to Scott Harley

p.151

and the officers of Scott Harley are given as

Temp Lt RNR J. Rennie
Temp Lt (E) RNR D. Russell
Sub-Lt "SS RNVR" R. J. Evans
Temp Sub-Lt RNR A. Scott

p. 1421

https://archive.org/details/navylistfeb1942grea

(there are other editions of The Navy List at Internet Archive, both before and after February 1942)

Wilson Wright
(Login wwright01)

Follow up on Scott Harley

No score for this post
October 18 2016, 2:49 PM 

Hi Tom,

Would appear that I may have been a little premature in my previous apology message. In your original post there was a question of the Scott Harley being scuttled outside Tjilajap. I am now starting to suspect that to be correct. Post from Melmoth made good case re identity and given that the crew of the Scott Harley and the JERAM clearly made it safely to the Tawali the question was how. I have now pieced together several bits of info.

1. On 22nd Feb C-in-C China Force reports:

"5. Australian minesweepers are maintaining anti filtration patrol in Sunda Strait. Three auxiliary minesweepers retained at Batavia, three with SCOTT HARLEY sail shortly for Tjilatjap."

I believe the minesweepers were the JERAM, GEMAS and either the RAHMAN or Motor minesweeper MMS No.51 (226t, 29/11/41)

2. One of the posts on this site identify the GEMAS as arriving in Tjilatjap on March 2nd and subsequently being taken out and scuttled. MMS 51 is also recorded as being scuttled south of Java to prevent capture.

All of this leads me to believe that some time between 22/23rd Feb and 1/2 March the small Scott Harley made it to Tjilatjap and were then scuttled.

Explains whay my father was still alive.

Regards,

Wilson

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement