<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HMS Li Wo

June 3 2016 at 10:20 PM
No score for this post
Britsfan  (Login Britsfan)

I just read a book about the Li Wo written by A. V. Sellwood. The boo was good, but concentrated more on the personal experiences
of the crew rather than the historical aspect of her sinking. I'd like to know more about this incident. I'd especially like to know if
anyone knows what Japanese ship, or ships, she attacked off Sumatra. I've checked a few websites, but none of them had this infor-
mation. I'm beginning to wonder if the Li Wo actually sank a Japanese troop transport as has been claimed. This is my first post here
by the way.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jacques
(no login)

Painting of HMS Li Wo

No score for this post
July 1 2016, 12:13 PM 

The well known painting of HMS Li Wo in action against the Japanese invasion force, depicts the transport in question with 4 Japanese symbols painted on her side. Could this, which I read as Ha-Ko-Ka-Ze (read from right to left of course), possibly give a clue as to the identity of that ship? Needless to say there is no record of a Hakokaze Maru to be found anywhere.

[linked image]

The List of Ships sunk in February 1942,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shipwrecks_in_February_1942 does show HMS Li Wo but apart from Inabasun Maru sank North of Sumatra by RAF bombers on the same day, no other Japanese vessels are listed on the 14th or soon afterwards.The IJN warships involved were the light cruiser Yura and the destroyers Fubuki and Asagiri.

Regards,

Jacques

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Britsfan
(Login Britsfan)

Thanks

No score for this post
July 7 2016, 1:12 AM 

Thanks Jacques for responding to my posting! I guess we'll never really know. Its a shame that the proof of these brave men's exploit doesn't seem to exist. Without Japanese confirmation of this incident its just speculation.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement