<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Blackforce - Hotel Dibbets

May 8 2017 at 2:11 PM
No score for this post
Rohan  (Login Houwitser)

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows if the Hotel Dibbets (Sometimes called Debbits) in Buitenzorg was somehow a HQ point for Blackforce or ABDA in February/March 1942? I read William-powlett mention that he had meetings with Blackburn at the Hotel Dibbets a few times around the 1/2nd March 1942 in regards to the 3rd Hussars and Blackforce?
The reason I ask is that my Great Grandfather was the Manager of that Hotel at the time and my Mum lived there at the time as her father had been called up for service.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rohan.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Nelson
(no login)

Re: Blackforce–Hotel Dibbets

No score for this post
May 15 2017, 12:34 AM 

Rohan,

No corroborated info on your query, I’m afraid. I think the essential word in use is “headquarters”, as opposed to a focal or meeting place while the Allied military forces were on the road or otherwise in a fluid situation. Various hotels across Java did serve as temporary or long-term headquarters for certain echelons during the Java campaign (certainly the major hotel in Tjilatjap so served, but for how long a period I have no idea). On the other end of the spectrum, Blackburn and William-Powlett could merely have met for a civilized lunch—alone or with another two or three officers—while they discussed the particulars of attaching B Squadron, 3rd Hussars, to Blackforce. Not much help, am I?

The last I heard, some of the records of the squadron that managed to come back from the Far East were being held in the Queen's Own Hussars Regimental Museum, Lord Leycester Hospital building, Warwick. Of course, the 3rd The King's Own Hussars became part of the QOH by amalgamation 59 years ago. If you’re located anywhere but in the UK, you may wish to attempt to find a researcher nearby who knows the turf and may be able to ferret out the info you seek.

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Jacques
(no login)

Hotel Dibbets - Then and now

No score for this post
May 15 2017, 7:48 PM 

FWIW, a postcard from the Hotel Dibbets in Buitenzorg in the 1930s, and probably what it looked like in 1942 can be seen here:

https://www.hippostcard.com/listing/buitenzorg-java-bogor-indonesiahotel-dibbets-postcard-1930s/1239537

And it still looks as classy today:

https://cdn.ostrovok.ru/t/1024x768/second/ce/a0/cea0fa273462f5638a672ce4dba26619258ed064.jpeg

Regards

Jacques

Rohan
(Login Houwitser)

Re: Blackforce - Hotel Dibbets

No score for this post
May 16 2017, 2:59 PM 

Thanks for the replies gents happy.gif

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement