<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Betty

May 20 2017 at 6:43 AM
No score for this post
Betty Verstegen  (no login)

I was on the Tegelberg after the war,having been liberated from Tjideng and en route to the Netherlands ,we landed somewhere in Africa to receive basic clothing, does anyone know where that was?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jacques
(no login)

M.S. Tegelberg 1945

No score for this post
May 20 2017, 9:05 PM 

Hallo Betty,

The port in Africa you're referring to is likely to be Port Said in Egypt. If you were fortunate enough to have been among the first civilians to be repatriated after liberation of Tjideng Internment Camp on 15 August 1945, it is possible that you left on the Tegelberg which departed (date unknown) from Tandjong Priok (Batavia), called at Colombo in modern-day Sri Lanka on 20 September, transitted the Suez Canal, and called at Port Said on 30 September 1945.

If you have any more information, it might help to confirm if it was indeed the port of call and the correct date.

Regards

Jacques

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Betty
(Login bettyverstegen)

Tegelberg

No score for this post
May 21 2017, 7:14 AM 

Thank you so much for your fast response!
I was on this ship at that time.
On an old school atlas I just found Dzjebel Ataka just west of Suez, I remember the name Ataka, mentioned by my mother, so could this have been the place where we received our basic clothing?
Regards,
Betty

Jacques
(no login)

Tegelberg at Suez

No score for this post
May 21 2017, 11:37 AM 

Okay, that helps. The more common spelling is "Gebel Ataka" which is a mountain range or series of hills to the West of Suez, not the name of a town or a port as you have it. Within the port of Suez, there was Ataka Jetty where casualties, and most likely refugees from ships were disembarked; and medical facilities at various locations within Suez referred to as Ataka North, Ataka Central and Ataka South according to this very informative Britain at War site:

http://www.britain-at-war.org.uk/ww2/alberts_war/html/suez.htm

This is what the port of Suez looked like at the time (from the above site):

[linked image]

Regards,

Jacques

Betty Verstegen
(Login bettyverstegen)

Tegelberg

No score for this post
May 22 2017, 8:26 AM 

Thanks for all your help and I might call on you again in the future,
Regards,
Betty

Keith Allen
(Login keacla1)

Betty

No score for this post
May 31 2017, 9:35 PM 

I'm not sure if this adds much to Jacques's reply, but you can find a record of Tegelberg's movements in this period at the Convoy Web website at
http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/ports/index.html?search.php?vessel=TEGELBERG~armain

Regards,
Keith Allen

Jacques
(no login)

Tegelberg at TP?

No score for this post
June 1 2017, 8:39 PM 

Thanks for posting Keith, I clean forgot about Convoyweb which shows that MS Tegelberg departed from Singapore on 15 September 1945 and never called at Tandjong Priok or any other NEI port. The Dutch civilian repatriates therefore left Java on another vessel bound for Singapore where they joined Tegelberg.

Do you recall anything about a first voyage from Java to Singapore, Betty?

Regards,

Jacques

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement