<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RNethN and Marinemonografie

October 26 2017 at 9:43 PM
No score for this post
Mark C. Jones  (Login MarkCJones)

Anyone interested in a detailed source of information about the Royal Netherlands Navy during the period 1939-46 will want to visit the Dutch national archives. They have a massive digital, on-line copy of an unusual source created in the late 1950s and early 1960s by the RNethN's history office (Bureau Maritieme Histoire or BMH). This series is called Marinemonografie and consists of four volumes: Netherlands, Western Europe, Netherlands East Indies, Netherlands West Indies. Each volume has numerous chapters about specific time periods, ships or services within the RNethN such as submarines or naval aviation. The volume for the NEI has a war diary beginning in August 1939 showing what the RNethN knew of its own forces and Allied or Japanese forces. There are sections for diplomacy, equipment, personnel, intelligence, etc. for each day. Ship movements are given for the RNethN and Gouvernementsmarine on a daily basis. This series is a tremendous resource for anyone interested in a particular part of the world, branch of the RNethN or ship. Many of the chapters within each volume are appendices that give the original source material used for the narrative. So you can read diplomatic messages and naval orders. Some of the chapters for the Netherlands volume list senior officers, staff officers and ship commanding officers in major fleet areas such as Den Helder, Hoek van Holland, Ijmuiden and Vlissingen in May 1940.

Here is the link to the collection:

https://www.archieven.nl/nl/zoeken?mivast=0&mizig=210&miadt=2231&micode=092&milang=nl&mizk_alle=nimh%20092%20marine&miview=inv2#inv3t1

If the link provided here does not work, search the Dutch national archives website for Nederlands Instituut voor Maritieme Histoire, De Koniklijke Marine in de Tweede Wereldoorlog.

Happy reading!

Mark C. Jones

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tom Womack
(no login)

Good Info!

No score for this post
November 3 2017, 11:51 AM 

You sir...are a gentleman and a scholar! I just may have to bookmark this page. This appears to the same archive that was posted online several years ago. But then it disappeared (during reorganization of the archives I believe) and I was no longer able to access the files. Glad to see that they are available again.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Jan Visser (moderator)
(Login Visje1981)
Moderators

Re: RNethN and Marinemonografie

No score for this post
November 5 2017, 5:38 PM 

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for the link, I hadn't spotted this one. The hardcopies are very hard to come by (I happen to have a set), and when you do, you generally have to pay a pretty penny to get them (I did).

Excellent resource for anyone interested in the Royal Netherlands Navy and the war.

Jan

Robert Bergstrom
(Login pby01)

Stockstill CAP shootdown

No score for this post
November 10 2017, 11:51 PM 

Tom,

Do you have Jim Swarks email address? I am researching the June 4th, 1942 CAP shoot down of VP-42's LT Stockstills PBY by the Japanese invasion forces CAP.
Jim may have some CAP pilots translations of that incident.

Thanks

Bob

Tom Womack
(no login)

Unfortunately, No...

No score for this post
November 14 2017, 7:03 AM 

Hi Bob...

I no longer have Jim's email address in any of my address books. It's been several years since he and I have corresponded. I've changed computers since then and his contact info apparently got lost in the shuffle. Have you tried looking through earlier threads on this board using the search function?

Regards...
Tom

Jim Broshot
(Login JimBroshot)

Jim Sawruk

No score for this post
November 17 2017, 6:25 AM 

Jim Sawruk posted something on Tully's Port at Combined Fleet.com today, maybe you can reach him through that website

http://propnturret.com/tully/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3361#p19520

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement