Return to Forum  

Diving Key Largo

June 19 2012 at 5:16 AM
No score for this post

KeithDB  (Premier Login KeithDB)
Forum Owner
from IP address 66.229.70.70

Two good dives yesterday in the Pennekamp Park area of Key Largo. The first was to the wreck of the Benwood, which has a mildly interesting story. In WW2 the Benwood was running without lights due to concern for German submarines. It did not encounter a German sub, but did encounter another ship also running with its lights out. The collision sank the Benwood. Heres' the Wiki article on the ship: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benwood_(shipwreck)

The second dive was to a reef called "Five Caves" though the caves don't exist anymore, having been destroyed by a hurricane. I saw no real evidence that the reef was struggling, in fact, live reef was in abundance.

Both dives had mediocre visibility of about 40 feet, but lots of things to see. We didn't see anything dramatic (e.g. sharks, rays, turtles) just lots of very pretty fish. We did see a fair number of barracuda and very big parrot fish and some trumpet fish, which are always very cools to see.

I had forgotten how full of life the diving at the Keys was. In spite of the low viz both dives were very good.

We also snorkeled off a boat the day before in an area called "Grecian Rocks." Once again, lots and lots of fish to see.

"The world is a mess and I just need to rule it." --Dr. Horrible.

This message has been edited by KeithDB from IP address 66.229.70.70 on Jun 19, 2012 6:33 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Response TitleAuthorDate
 Re: Diving Key Largo6campaignsJun 19, 2012, 10:07 AM
  Re: Diving Key LargoKeithDBJun 19, 2012, 11:09 AM
   Re: Diving Key LargoAnonymousJun 19, 2012, 10:10 PM
    Re: Diving Key LargoKeithDBJun 20, 2012, 4:53 AM
     Easy to check ocean tempsBobJun 20, 2012, 11:30 AM