Welcome to the BC Senior Hockey fan forum. This is a place to follow your favorite Senior hockey teams in the Central Interior Hockey League and the rest of the the Province. The only rule on here is that you keep your posts clean. Remember this is a place for every member of the family.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

PG Mohawks

February 19 2010 at 4:36 PM
No score for this post
Peace Hockey  (Login PeaceHockey)
from IP address 204.244.59.188

Just thought I would drop an intersting note to all. The FSJ AAA Flyers are playing a exibition team from PG called "Mohawks" in Mackenzie Saturday the 20th. We all remember that power house. They are also going to travel to FSJ for another set in March for the Flyers preparation to Allen Cup. The Flyers actually don't have many games because the NPHL voted them out of the playoffs because of AAA status (new league rule) & BC Hockey ruled that they could not compete for the Savage Cup.
Wouldn't it make the CIHL complete to have the Mohawks & Kangaroos again. PG is talking AAA, but that road is costly & usually ends on a down note. Another idea we should bring up at the BC Hockey AGM summit is that a set of AAA cards could be taken by someone as Powell River did & have designated Afiliate players from AA teams. That would help FSJ stay in the NPHL & DC/FSJ could make AAA team. Also the CIHL could also make a good AAA team to play april, Savage/Mackenzie cups & maybe Allen.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rusty
(Login greenandblack)
BC Senior Forum Mods

Re: PG Mohawks

No score for this post
February 19 2010, 5:46 PM 

If Quesnel could get up and running you could also have a northern AAA league with DC, FSJ, PG and Quesnel. The talent pool in PG is way to big for them to be a part of the CIHL. They would crush everyone and the CIHL doesn't need that. They belong in AAA.

Peace
(Login PeaceHockey)

Expand

No score for this post
February 19 2010, 7:19 PM 

That league would not be feasable. It would be to expensive & we get to play games in our league during the week. Weekend hockey must be hard to keep commitment for. If WL likes the closest competiion to be Vanderhoof thats fine. The old league worked because of geographics. I don't envy the travel you have (I do admire the effort). Hope it lasts. Don't get me wrong I think the CIHL is great promotion of Senior hockey, but the same teams win so far. Don't be afraid of better competition. It brings better players. Our league suffers from the small towns not being able to compete with the cities DC, FSJ, GP. WL & Kitmat are biggest & best.

captain
(Login packy20)

Re: Expand

No score for this post
February 20 2010, 3:02 PM 

YES they are off to Mackenzie for the game tonite,minus a few guys Brough,Kehoe, K. Malgunus should be interesting though. ice time in PG is an issue hence the game in Mac.Agree with rusty about the talent pool would be tough for CIHL teams to compete.It will be interesting to see where this goes(mohawks)but they have good people running it and lots of guys to choose from. older with lots of experience and guys coming out of junior pretty much every year. Good luck with it. ice time ???

Steely-on
(Login Steely-on)

No score for this post
February 20 2010, 8:31 PM 

A team out of PG will never play in the CIHL League.

If they do it will be the end of the CIHL. Maybe a exhibition game or two against an all-star team, that might work.

This would be decided at a CIHL AGM. Good Luck.

This seems to have a Omenica Twist. This would be the only team in the CIHL that could have any possible interest.

sheldon
(Login johncho)
BC Senior Forum Mods

No score for this post
February 21 2010, 7:19 PM 

The final was 4-1 for the Flyers but don't know who was all there but the PG guys are out of shape. Some of the older players have only been on 5 times or less> I hope something comes out of this because the other two PG teams aren't winning alot of games.

Rusty
(Login greenandblack)
BC Senior Forum Mods

No score for this post
February 21 2010, 8:44 PM 

Nothing to do with Omineca. From what I understand this team will be hard to make for any of the guys that played for Omineca or any other CIHL team. The guys I named have just been attending practise and will likely tryout next season.

4-1 is a pretty good result considering they just put together a team and had a handful of practises then played against the Alan Cup Hosts who are an extremely solid team at the AAA level.

I heard the names of the people running this and I don't think they would have gone this far without knowing this was going to be a sure thing next season.

Steely-on
(Login Steely-on)

No score for this post
February 22 2010, 12:14 AM 

What is a sure thing next season Rusty? Getting a team in the CIHL? or just playing a game or two against a CIHL team.
I really do not think the CIHL Reps would let a PG team in the League and why would they. Senior Triple A against a double A team is Like Midgets playing Bantams. Goaltendings the Key, the CIHL maybe has three Goaltenders that could make a game respectable, and that might be stretching it a bit.
Most teams have two, maybe three skating players that could play triple A.
I think you should watch a triple A game before you throw in the hat.

Maybe The Stamps want them in, just to cut the travel. But I would bet they will be alone on Decision Day.

me
(Login salmonking4ever)

No score for this post
February 22 2010, 12:18 AM 

Didn't Kitimat beat FSJ Flyers in the coy cup a few years back?

sheldon
(Login johncho)
BC Senior Forum Mods

No score for this post
February 22 2010, 8:17 AM 

The league that the Flyers play in have AA and AAA teams and wouldn't you think that the CISHL teams would want to play against better teams or are they wanting to stay at the same level every year. The same people that post on this forum regarding a PG team or should i say not wanting a PG team in the league are the ones that are holding the league back.
The Flyers play in the league but don't participate in the play-offs is something that the league could look at it, having PG in the league would be good for the league for exposure to attract new fans and players. Maybe some of the top teams should be given an opprotunity to play some competitive hockey against different players in an exhibition schedule. Maybe Williams Lake, Houston, Smithers and Kitimat should get together before the AGM and bring this as something that they may want and i remember listening to the Oldtimers at the rink talking about the Vanderhoof Bears and PG Mohawk games as "legendary" so maybe Omenica should consider this as well.

Just a thought from a Senior Hockey fan that lives in Prince George!

Peace
(Login PeaceHockey)

Expand

No score for this post
February 22 2010, 8:38 AM 

Congrats to WL, & good luck to both at the Coy Cup. DC beat the FSJ Flyers 2 of 6 times this year with a watered down version of their Allen cup team. The Canucks would have beat PG as well with what they have right now. You would also have seen AA Canucks at Coy if timing were right. It is the exact problem the NPHL has. For years FSJ, GP, & DC competed at a high level in the South Peace Hockey League competing against Cariboo in Coy Cup. When the mighty Mohawks were roling high we could not touch them. Eventually they had no league left. The SPHL was also to small of a league & no one else could compete, it folded. The NPHL has small towns like Fairview, High Praire who have produce very strong teams in the past when they recruit. Since GP, DC, FSJ have joined in their league the problem is there. They can't compete with the city teams unless they recruit & fund raise or have big gates. Then the teams that don't, get kicked. The league meetings are interesting to say the least trying to vote teams out of playoffs, divisionalize. The worst thing that ever happened is when Horse Lake spent 2 million dollars building a Allen Cup team with Fleury, Odgeck etc. It was ugly, but it was also the biggest crowds the league had ever saw. We had a $20,000 gate one night & lost 11-1. We took the money & tried to buy some players to compete & went broke fast, lost our locals & folded.
The CIHL is on its first to second generation of players. Have to look at the future. Some teams are only "A" as in NPHL. They travel with 12 players & put on a poor show. The future of WL will be tough without league expansion. You know the "A" teams might fade & all your good clubs are West. Nobody really knows if PG, FSJ, WH will ever get the super league going, I doubt it. It will be a hard choice if PG even want in. Quesnel would also be beneficial as they have alot of Senior Hockey Tradition. Senior Hockey hockey has proven to come & go everywhere. The larger the league the more chance of survival. Just my opinion of what I have seen in the Senior leagues trials & tribulations.

Rusty
(Login greenandblack)
BC Senior Forum Mods

No score for this post
February 22 2010, 8:53 AM 

I meant that it's likely for sure they will have a team, not that it will be in the CIHL.

kitimatfan
(Login kitimatfan)

A UNBC team would be a great addition to the CIHL

No score for this post
February 22 2010, 1:03 PM 

...and I've been saying that for some time...but it would have to be a legitimate UNBC team, properly carded, with players from the student body (plus faculty.)

Drawing players from the community as add-ons would not be useful to either UNBC or the CIHL. Having a league team rep would provide an attractive draw in Prince George, where there's already too much (serious) hockey among guys pursuing careers. Many people are not turned on by WHL and BCHL hockey styles and want to see more local and regional players who have something different from a pro hockey career in mind... The CIHL would be, could be and is a valid an d interesting alyternative and partial solution.

The WHL and BCHL teams draw away the interest from amateur senior hockey...but a UNBC team WOULD have a built in audience and as such would be a huge asset to the league and to teams in Fort St James (already in correspondence with the league and wanting back into CIHL next season), Omineca and Williams Lake.

Senior teams in the north-east corner should be interested also in the fact the BCAHA annual meeting is in PG this June and has set aside a few hours for a discussion on the place of senior hockey in the BCAHA. Looking also for a replacement for Bob James. If CIHL teams want a say in senior hockey -- they better get the date of the meetiung in their diaries and plan to attend. There may not be enough time for all matters to be covered -- but a review of the Coy Cup approach is a critical one. Internet or video conference calls should follow...

Senior hockey needs to be cleaned up and strategized properly before the falter we are in bec`omes a serious stamble and we all have to start again. The CIHL needs to revuiew its constitution and
operating rules and regulations,. This past season has been a nightmare of carding and registration blips (not saying it's all deliberate) but it needs to get cleaned up and all cards on the table, so to speak.

ACH

Peace
(Login PeaceHockey)

UNBC

No score for this post
February 22 2010, 3:13 PM 

The well known hockey guy Len Macnamara is the atheletic director at UNBC. He would be a good contact as well as Grant Williams of the PG Mohawks.

Rusty
(Login greenandblack)
BC Senior Forum Mods

Re: UNBC

No score for this post
February 22 2010, 3:29 PM 

Good to hear that Fort St. James wants back in... That could be a life saver for the Stamps travel wise... I had heard rumblings of the Omineca team relocating their home games to the Fort earlier, is this whats happening or is their a local group wanting in? If it's a local group that could likely help Omineca adding a natural rival and lessening their travel burden aswell.

Also... what is the state of the Wolverines with their arena being shut down? will they continue to operate?

Pure-Logic
(Login Pure_Logic)

Future looks bright?

No score for this post
February 22 2010, 3:56 PM 

Well I have read this string and must admit I like what I am reading. There is a lot of promise if it is at all possible to see a few teams join the CIHL or if not under that name then under a new name and maybe a league with four divisions with 4 to 6 teams representing the entire province with the final outcome being the Coy Cup. Nothing is impossible. A BC Senior Men's "AA" League with representatives from a Northern, Eastern, Central & Island(+ Southern) meeting in a four team tournament each year to decide the League champion & winner of the Coy. Sounds like a concept to me.

sheldon
(Login johncho)
BC Senior Forum Mods

Re: Future looks bright?

No score for this post
February 22 2010, 5:28 PM 

Len is no longer with UNBC and Grant is one of the guys behind the Mohawks.

Steely-on
(Login Steely-on)

Re: Future looks bright?

No score for this post
February 22 2010, 6:50 PM 

I like the Idea of a UNBC Team joining the CIHL, that would be good for the League, and help out WLake, Omenica, and possible Fort St James in travel.

Peace
(Login PeaceHockey)

PG

No score for this post
February 22 2010, 9:01 PM 

Hey Sheldon, you are a wealth of information. If you are the same agent that goes by "Sheldon" that I know, you could get it done. Your Buddy hockey guy in DC.

sheldon
(Login johncho)
BC Senior Forum Mods

Re: PG

No score for this post
February 22 2010, 9:35 PM 

I just know most of the players and some of the guys behind the scene and there is some interest in having a team but not a heavy schedule. They will have mixed bag of players with some pro players and some guys that may have played junior "B" but like any team they will have to carry alot of players because of work commitments. I hope that it happens because i know that the Senior game is a entertaining brand of hockey, edpecially in the play-offs!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement